At a Crossroad

____

____

Headmaster Snape was quick to summon the remaining few dozen students at Hogwarts, many of them being sent home for their refusal and participation in nefarious activists while others stayed to help defend those who remained only to be punished for their—heroism—as Snape called it.

Heroism that would end in their defeat.

Harry hid in the sea of students, a pair of robes on as Ethaline returned to her own house, the two of them exchanging a far look of reassurance. Not everyone in Slytherin was aware of her return, nor Draco's who was next to her, his face slightly hard as Blaise covered him with his taller figure.

"I'm sure you've all heard..." Snape said from afar, at the top of the steps Dumbledore once stood on, "That Harry Potter and Ethaline Malfoy have been spotted in Hogsmeade."

The students began to chat quickly, glancing around the others as if to create ether illusion they had no idea what he was talking about, which Snape bought. For a moment, "Should anyone have any idea of where they are...you are to speak up immediately."

There was silence.

Snape clenched his jaw slightly, his hands resting on his wand, "Or there will be consequences."

"It seems," Harry called out from behind some students as he pushed his way out, "Despite your best efforts to keep the school safe you still have a security breach."

Snape drew his wand which cause the others to step up, drawing their own with Ethaline at the front, her face resembling betrayal and hurt. For a second however, just for a split second, Snape's harsh gaze wavered and softened at the sight of her. She was alive.

Meanwhile the remaining members of the order walked out, their presence putting Ethaline back on the rails as she convinced herself she was imagining it, her kid trembling slightly as she spoke up, "You seem a bit surprised to see me." She said, not expecting a response as he clenched his jaw.

"How dare you stand where he stood?!" Harry raged, "How dare you?! Tell them! Tell them what happened that night!" He raised his voice with every word, "Tell them how you looked him in the eye—a man who trusted you—and killed him!"

Snape didn't say anything before waving his wand as if to start a spell before McGonagall leaped forward. The older woman's eyes held tears, but she kept her nose in the air before firing a offensive spell. Snape fought them, deflectibing them as best as he could which caused him to hit the death eaters behind him before he finally used transfiguration to escape through the window.

The students cheered as Ethaline shot fire up from her hands, igniting the candles that had been blown out before the students cheered her on, their hope restored. "Where the hell did you learn that?!" Cassie asked, her eyes wide in awe as Ethaline walked over to them.