TANGLED RELATIONS

____

____

Ethaline sat by a tree, a book of spells in her hand she borrowed from Hermione as she tried to find one strong enough to destroy the locket. Though none of them seemed to work.

Harry sat only a few feet from her, starring down at the locket before he snapped and turned towards the tent. Ethaline stopped him with a single look, "Don't bother him, it comforts him." She said, turning the page.

"Comforts him?" Harry asked in disbelief, "It's putting my teeth on edge listening to the radio."

"I think he just doesn't want to hear bad news," Ethaline replied, closing the book when she saw Harry stand up.

Harry bit the inside of his cheek, "How long before he can travel?" He asked when Hermione stepped out of the tent holding bloody water.

"I'm doing everything I can—" Hermione replied.

"You're not doing enough!" Harry yelled, making Ethaline stand up from the ground.

"Don't raise your bloody voice," she snarled in disbelief, watching as his chest heaved up and down. She knew Harry had a short temper, she always did, but this was different.

Something else was different.

"Take it off," Ethaline said as he began to walk away.

"What?"

"I said take it off, now."

Harry rolled his eyes, harshly taking the locket off his neck before relaxing a bit. His face softened as well as his gaze on the blonde, "Oh."

"We'll take turns wearing it." Hermione said, grabbing it from his hands before heading off to do what she was doing before he stopped her.

Night approached them quickly, Ethaline refused to head inside the tent to sleep and stayed by the fire just outside. The more she stared at it, the more she felt the absence of her dragons. She'd wondered where they are, how they are doing and concluded that not so well considering they were deemed dangerous because of who led them.

Hermione was looked down at the ground, something within her clicking before she stood up and directed her eye contact to Ethaline. "Why did you do it?" Hermione suddenly asked.

Ethaline looked up from her book, her eyes tired and rimmed around with red and purple marks of exhaustion. "Sorry?"