Jyuu ~ The start of a new day

Start from the beginning

Itachi widens his eyes slightly and blinks. "They're... having another baby?" I nodded, earning a nod and a smirk from Itachi. "Well, no wonder why you're so happy. Fate just proved the doctors wrong with the whole 'not being able to bear a child' thing, eh?"

I grinned. "Hopefully, I can be patient. Now I have to wait for nine months to pass before I could officially have a sibling."

"It's really heart-warming, seeing you smile without any worries. Let's just hope it stays that way for the rest of the month, shall we?"

Yet another smirk from Itachi and a cheeky smile from myself had come to our faces.

~*~

I lied on the guest bed, hands resting on my stomach. My head was facing the ceiling.

After that little "meeting" I had with my parents, and the small talk with Itachi, that left my mind swirling with thoughts about my mother's pregnancy. Would she be careful enough? Would she be able to keep the baby in her stomach for as long as it has to be in there for?

Or will she suffer yet another miscarriage?

I didn't even want to ask myself the last question.

I felt like my conscience was telling me something. Something important. But ironically, I don't even know what. And it was frustrating me.

I turned to my side and slid both of my hands under the pillow. I lied in a comfortable position and tried to fall asleep.

After I felt my body already asleep, I heard the door open.

It was probably Sasuke, and I was right.

I held myself up with one of my arms as I turned to see the Uchiha with his hair styled as a duck-butt standing by the doorway. He takes a few more steps in and shuts the door. "What are you doing here, Uchiha?" I say quietly.

"I still have to sleep in here, you know?" He tries avoiding eye contact with me. "Just eight more days before your little torture's over." Strangely, I heard slight pain in his voice as he said his second sentence.

Ouch.

"Oh. Forgot," I tried ending the conversation there by turning my head back and shutting my eyes. I heard movement shuffling around, the sounds getting louder by second. The bed dips down slightly on the other side. Sasuke must've sat down.

"Get up, you bimbo. We still have to talk, remember?"

Damn. I should have pretended to sleep when he came in.

He would still have said that either way.

I quietly sighed and sat up. I turned so I was now facing Sasuke, whose expression was blank. My worries came back, but I barely pushed it aside.

"When we were doing the whole challenge, and you ran off on us for laughing at you, did you not laugh at me on purpose?" I blinked in confusion. I felt Sasuke get slightly irritated. "Let me restate that: were you taking Itachi's advice on not letting this whole rivalry thing get in the way of what happened earlier?"

I could ask myself the same thing. I didn't even know if I was. Strange, right?

I decided to go with, "You could say that."

"Hn," he still has on that blank expression, as if what I just said hadn't affected him at all. He lets out a long sigh before finally breaking the silence. "If you're trying your best at it, then I should be fair and try as well."

"What are you talking about?"

"What I'm saying," he retorts. "is that we should try something new. We should just push our foolish acts aside and act mature for once. Let's end this rivalry for awhile."

Is this real life? Was Sasuke Uchiha really declaring peace between us, and making me sign the treaty? What I'm wondering the most about is if he's actually being honest and truthful, and that this wasn't some sort of game.

I shouldn't be assuming too quickly.

I thought for a moment while he just stares at me from the corner of his eyes. I could tell he was getting impatient with me taking too long to answer, so I finally did. "I agree."

He turns his head to look at me; under that smirk of his was pure shock. I could see it in his eyes. But he nods. "Tomorrow's the start of a new day, where everything changes, hm?"

We both smiled. Not an evil smile, not a taunting smile. It was real. A smile that two close friends shared.

This will surely freak out Itachi once he sees our attitude towards each other tomorrow.