27. Sinking Heart(s)

Blue. Cold. Crystalline. Motionless. Mobile.

This described the cave the best when the two pairs of worried eyes scanned the area all around.

"Let me try."

"Argh! Why isn't it opening?!" He pushed the snowy rocks from inside which were blocking the mouth of the cave. His shout was violence in the air, a way to take his frustration out and transfer the tension into the gloomy atmosphere.

"Can you not use your powers for this?"

"No Jimin. I can only freeze the water, I cannot do the reverse."

They continued their attempt to shove the huge rocks with their fragile hands, putting in all the strength left in their bodies.

"Ah! This won't do."

Their breaths came huffy as their knees dropped down in defeat.

The only thing that gave a little relief was that the ice creatures which horribly popped earlier were automatically disappeared into the thin air as soon as the entrance got crashed.

It was too dark to see the way out and nearly too cold and wet to keep moving, they tried and failed repeatedly to find an exit. By that time, their arms and legs were cramping, and their hands and feet felt numb. As they waited, they backtracked to try to find another way out, but could not see one.

Their soul and body together were now starting to lose hope.

The heavy cold air from outside cascaded into the cave, and warmer air inside rose up and escaped, lowering the cave temperature further than it already was.

It was one of those moments when usual clothes weren't enough, when they felt thinner than they were, when the multiple layers of clothing could not protect against the deathly cold.

A stream of water poured from a hole in the ceiling, collecting in a pool at their feet.

They had no alternative other than settling themselves on the damp rocks blanketed with ice, otherwise, their legs would freeze at any time. Sleep was out of the question— after dozing for a few minutes, they would jolt awake with stiffened teeth.

They knew that falling asleep would inch them closer to death, so they did their best to engage in small talk.

"Moon, do you remember when we first met?"

"Ah! That." She chuckled reminiscing the past.

It was the first day of their High School. Everyone was so excited about the new friends, new experiences. The corridor was occupied with chats and giggles. Jimin walked into the corridor, his eyes busy in spotting his classroom.

He stops right in front of the Art room when the notice board that hung beside it grabbed his attention. When he was engaged in skimming the notice, a girl moved out and crashed straight into him. All the paints that rested in the color palette in her hand got spilled, decorating him in various colorful shades.

"Yah! Can't you see?!" Jimin lashed as his new uniform which he just wore for the first time was now completely stained with colors.

"Excuse me! I was walking usually as everyone does. You were the one who was absentmindedly standing here like a dumb."

"Wah!" Jimin scoffed facing a loss of words.

They crossed their paths exchanging grimaces and glares, never hoping to encounter each other again.

Of course, he couldn't deny the fact that his heart didn't pound for a good moment when he saw how beautiful she looked but still he also couldn't contest that her first impression on him was inconsiderate and rude.