"Don't make me angry. You still have much more to learn before you're in my league."

"True," Deku admits. "But what I did learn, I learned from you."

Dabi and Deku lock eyes for several quiet moments, neither of them moving. Cars still out rush by, desperate to get out of the sketchy area; the lights in the building flicker in and out; and Dabi's newest capture boldly tries to escape from his binds despite the two villains in front of him.

Then making the first move, Dabi charges forward with a smoke screen of blazing blue. Deku immediately snuffs it out. He snaps his fingers and makes his own flame, meeting Dabi in the middle.

They engage in a fist fight of blue and orange, each one knocking the other away before they can land a hit. But every now and then, one will slip through their defenses.

When it does, it's brutal. Neither one holds back. Not ever. Each hit, each attack, has the full power of their strength behind it.

Deku snuffs out another one of Dabi's flames as his fist flies toward his face. But when he does, that brief instant, that one second where his power is focused on another's, his offence is gone.

One of his annoying weaknesses.

In that one moment, his own flame is gone.

Dabi doesn't waste time. With Deku's offense gone and his defense preoccupied, Dabi raises his other fist and coats it in his blue fire.

Deku stumbles back, putting distance between them. He runs his thumb along his cheek, hissing in pain as his skin burns and brow sizzles. He managed to switch targets and snuff out the brunt of the hit. But not before the searing heat made contact. If it wasn't for his quirk, the damage would be much more severe. "That's going to leave a mark."

When Deku looks up, a powerful line of the blue flame is already making its way for him. Immediately Deku snaps his fingers and wills the fire to grow and leap for Dabi's attack.

The two streams of fire meet just a couple feet away from Deku in the small room, swirling together in a circle. But only for a few seconds. The ball of fire turns to a strong vortex that disperses as quickly as it appears.

The quick disperse creates an invisible force that shoves Deku off his feet and hard into the wall.

Nothing that hasn't happened before of course.

"Damn you," Deku breaths as he stares up at the ceiling.

"You're too slow," Dabi says from his spot across the room.

Deku sighs, wiping away the blood dripping down his head as he pulls himself to his feet.

They both stare at each other, waiting to see what the other one will do next.

Then a crazy smile tugs as Dabi's skin. "Damn kid," he says walking over, ruffling Deku's bushy hair. "it's been a while. Seems you've improved a little since I last saw you."

"Yeah and you're just as stupid as ever I see," Deku replies, nodding to the hero still tied up. He stuffs his pockets into his beat-up jacket. "Another one huh?"

Dabi puts his own hands in his pockets and turns the hero. "This one knows something."

"He won't tell you. So?" Deku asks again.

"I want to have a little more fun before I give up on this one. So sorry, I'm busy."

Deku cocks his head, looking the hero up and down. He snaps his fingers and flicks a small but hot flame at the hero's chest. The fire concentrates at their heart and burns through the skin, leaving a blackened hole and slumped body.

Deku looks up at Dabi. "Not anymore. So what do you say?"

"I guess you're right," Dabi says, tearing his eyes away from the hero who went out without so much as a plea. "What's the job?"

"I need you to protect someone."

Dabi raises a brow. "Do I look like someone who protects people?"

"He knows."

"Shit." Dabi hangs his head, knowing just what Deku means. "When?"

"Shigaraki decided to attack the UA students. Particularly Bakugou's class."

Dabi snorts a laugh. "He sounds like an idiot."

"It was going to happen sooner or later. None of us can hide forever," Deku shrugs. "plus, can't blame him. It was the perfect opportunity to go after All Might."

"So the rumors are true."

Deku nods.

"If he knows, the heroes know. And if they don't, they will soon."

Deku nods again.

"What about Toga?"

Deku shakes his head. "I've got her doing something else. I need to control the pro heroes and destruction they cause. The only way to do that is to let them in on the secret when I want them to. And UA being UA, they are still holding the Sports Festival. It's the perfect place. The one thing I can't control is being in two places at once--"

"If you two are there, then no one will be there to protect your mother," Dabi finishes, catching on.

"I don't like her getting roped into this but if she has to, it's going to be on my terms."

"What about that warp freak?"

Deku shakes his head. "I don't trust him. Not with this. You of all people know what's it's like to need to save someone. You've been trying for years."

Dabi looks down his nose at Deku. "When do we do this?"

"A week from today. Don't be late. Don't let her out of your sight."