Chapter 4: Temptation

Start from the beginning

"It... it was nice to see you again, Alina" Tommie said.

"Likewise," Alina replied kindly, while keeping an eye on her mother who was watching the scene amusedly.

"Goodbye then" and then he turned to Alina's mother, put his hat back on and tapped his hat as a way of saying goodbye and then he was gone. Alina put her arms over herself and sighed and then addressed her mother.

"What was that all about?" Alina wanted to know, quirking an inquisitive brow at Harriet.

"What are you talking about; child?" said her mother innocently to which Alina sighed again.

"Uh huh, sure. Do not play dumb, I know exactly what you are doing mother", shaking her head.

"How many times do I have to tell you? Thomas is like a little brother to me" she wearily exclaimed to which Harriet Kennedy rolled her eyes.

"Oh, for God's sake, Alina. He is only six months younger than you are. I don't understand.. It is obvious that he likes you very much;  he has a good job;  one of these days will be taking over the family bakery. Imagine being his wife;  you will not have to bend over backwards and can live a more comfortable-".

Alina had started to run away, towards the door, but her mother had stopped her by standing in front of her and grabbing her wrist and gazed deeply at her.

" Sweet girl of mine...I know you don't want to think about this possibility but... what will happen to you if I am not around?" her mother had declared in a desperate manner.

"I don't want to talk about this now, mother. I will be late for work" Alina replied in a pinched voice. No, she did not want to think about this possibility, that her mother would die. Not now, anyway.

She wrestled herself loose from Harriet's grip and then walked to the door and grabbed her coat.

"I have to go" she said, deliberately turning her back on her mother so that Alina's tears would not be seen. "See you tonight" and away she went.

Benedict hardly spoke at all during breakfast in his parents' house, in fact he did not even seem to be there, he was so lost in thought.

"Well brother, you're not exactly the most exciting company this morning" accused Eloise in a disapproving voice.

"Yes, Benedict... Is there something the matter? You are so withdrawn today" Daphne noted.

"Hhm?" Benedict said as he came back to his senses.

"Oh... Sorry Daph, what did you say? I wasn't listening".

"You can say that again" Eloise reprimanded but Benedict ignored his sister's comment. Daphne repeated her question, and this time Benedict did provide an answer.

"No, Daph, I am fine. There is nothing wrong" answered Benedict quickly and then took a bite of his poached egg.

"How is Simon doing? And how are you? I see the baby has grown a lot" asked Benedict as his eyes darted to his sisters ever growing belly. Daphne smiled and told him that she was feeling great, and the baby was doing well. She then talked about some projects Simon had in mind for their estates.

Benedict did his best to listen and nodded politely here and there but did not pay any attention, which fortunately Daphne did not notice. When breakfast was over and his sisters and mother had moved to the drawing room he was left alone with his eldest brother, Anthony, Colin had already left that day.

He stared at his cup of coffee and stirred it aimlessly with a spoon. Anthony looked at him with concern.

"You know you can tell me anything, don't you? I know I am not always... the most understanding person in this family but if there is anything that is weighing on your mind, I hope you know that I am here to listen and to help" Anthony declared.