Chapter 5- nightmares & young girls

Of course, the world had forced Derek and I together again. We were sharing a room. Great. As I looked around the room, I was at least relieved that there were two single beds. Not one. At least we wouldn't have to share a bed.

Derek looks at me.

''You sure you're okay with sharing rooms with me?''

''Why wouldn't I be?'' I respond.

He shrugs and goes to the bathroom, changing into some more ''sleep'' sort of clothing. I brought a long sleeve shirt and some comfy leggings. I quickly change while he uses the bathroom.

I have to find a way to bring up the nightmares. Ever since him from gym when I was younger, and the times I'd almost been kidnapped by countless men, I'd had nightmares. Sometimes I'd scream, talk, cry. Most often I'd wake up screaming. I was used to it by now, but I didn't want Derek to be alarmed. So I figured I should bring it up somehow before we slept. He comes out of the bathroom and gets into his bed.

''Hey so uh,'' I start.

He already thinks I can't handle this job, what is he going to think when I wake up yelling and crying? I need to warn him though. It's better he finds out now and is not surprised.

''I know this is weird, but uh. I'm probably going to wake you up in the middle of the night- I'm a bit of a restless sleeper and I tend to cause a ruckus.''

He laughs. ''So you sleep talk or walk? No worries, I talk a lot when I sleep.''

I wince.

''Not really, I mean, I kinda scream and yell. Thrash around a lot. Sort of nightmares. Been happening since I was a kid.''

''Oh, I get them too, not to worry.''

''Yeah I just scare a lot of people, so I'm sorry in advance. I'd get a room alone if I could, or I'd take a sleeping pill to knock me out- but I'd be all groggy tomorrow and I don't want to screw up this case- so anyways I-''

He interrupts. Seeing me struggle with what I'm trying to say. He shrugs again like what I'm saying is no big deal.

''Hey, hey, no stress Lydia. Do you want me to wake you up?''

''Uh if I'm really sleeping in a deep sleep, and won't wake up, then yeah, thanks. But usually, I'll wake myself up.''

''Sounds good, hopefully, you have a good sleep tonight though. And welcome to the team.''

I nod, I haven't slept well in 15 years but I'm surprised by his kindness.

''Thanks, Derek.''

I turn the lights out.

* * *

''Tane, come here'' he spits.

''NO STOP,'' I yell.

'NO.''

''DONT TOUCH ME''

He reaches out cornering me. I yelp.

When someone invades your space, you don't really know what to do. At first, you allow it. You're uncomfortable but you think, hey, maybe it's a mistake. Maybe I'm just too cautious. They're not actually doing this to be a creep. But then it continues. And you try to push them off. But they won't budge. And your heart starts racing because you're scared, you don't feel safe. Your body doesn't feel like it's yours. And that feeling makes you squirm. Not being in control of yourself. Feeling helpless while he touches you. Because someone else is controlling you. And that's not okay. This is your body. Not a creepy 40-year-old gym teachers. And right now, I don't feel safe. He's touching me and I want it to stop.