48 | WELL, THIS ESCLATED FAST

Start from the beginning

"Honestly? No, I don't." Tom shrugs. "But I am happy for ya."

"And people wonder why are we so different," Alyssa says, rolling her eyes.

"Anyway, we should go to class, now," Tom says, gesturing between him and Alyssa.

"See you, guys, later." Alyssa gives me a pleading look to which I give back a pointed look. "Okay, fine. See you at lunch."

"You said we?" Adi asks me, looking at me.

"About what?" I ask, holding the bag properly on my shoulder.

"Interview?"

"Oh, Raymond and Me. We both applied to DEU."

"Dancer, too?" Adi asks, too innocently.

"Yeah. His team was the first runner-up," I say to him, unsure.

"Potential boyfriend?"

"No," I answer him, without hesitation or beat. "That's not going to happen." Adi has an appraising look in his eyes as he looks back at me. "Why did you—?"

"Okay, here goes nothing." Adi holds me by my shoulders and lets out a breath.

I try to stop him because I know where this goes. "Adi—"

"Just reminding you to act sooner otherwise... Life is a bastard, what they say."

I blink in confusion but he just nods and walks away.

"Who the hell are they?"

***

I reach downstairs, ready to go out when I look at the living room. Asleep, Mom is cuddling against Dad's chest as Dad is watching some movie on the television – but it looks he is watching Mom, mostly. As if hearing my steps, Dad looks up and I want to hug him at how sleep-deprived he looks.

"Seems like you both had a hectic day. Dad, both of you should go to bed and sleep," I whisper to him.

"Probably" Dad yawns. "But where are you going?"

"Nick and I are going to hang out."

Before lunch, Nick complained about how he and I have not gone out in a long while and how Alyssa sucks as a wing woman because she keeps complaining about men in general. With all his unnecessary groaning, he persuaded me to hang out today—that idiot, I swear.

"Of course." Dad yawns again.

"Dad, go to bed," I tell him.

He ignores. "Take the keys—"

"Dad, listen to—" I say back, just when I get Nick's message that he is here.

He notices and waves me off. "Go and have fun."

"But—"

"Iry, dear sugar cube, don't worry about us."

I grumble, "Don't complain about your back pain, later." He rolls his eyes and leans against the couch, switching off the TV. "Fine, ignore your caring and adorable daughter."

"Thanks for the permission," He mumbles.

I groan, knowing he is too stubborn. "Bye, dad!"

It is afternoon but it feels like an evening with some black clouds hovering around the sky and winds breezing through.

Since it looks like it is going to rain and also it is a bit cold, I am wearing grey sweatpants with neon green lining and a maroon oversized sweater over my black tank top paired with my converse.