Chapter 21 - Resting

Start from the beginning

"It's really, really bad," I mumbled, finishing my food.

"How would you describe it?" He pushed, standing up.

"Feels like I'm gettin' shot," I managed to get out, yet another wave of pain washing over me.

"Well just stay in bed, alright? I'll go see if Jack is here yet." Race smiled kindly as he left, closing the door gently. I then heard footsteps nearing the door, but it didn't open.

"How is he?" I could hear Jack through the door, and could tell he was worried.

"He's in a whole lot of pain," Race explained, likely making Jack even more worried than he already was.

"How bad?"

"He told me that it feels like he's getting shot," Jack sighed deeply, pausing as he processed what Race had told him.

"He's that hurt?" Jack asked in disbelief.

"It's bad. You should probably prepare before you go in there," Race said, and I finally heard the doorhandle move as Jack grabbed it, and he was in the doorway moments later.

"Hey," he said quietly, walking over to me and kneeling down so he was at the same level I was.

"Hey," was all I could get out, the pain only increasing with every second that went by.

"You doing okay?" He asked, and despite the fact that Race had already told him how I felt, I decided I'd try to sugarcoat it and make him feel better.

"Mhm, I'm okay," I then winced right on cue, my back burning.

"I don't want you lyin' to me," Jack said quietly, pushing my hair from my face. "Tell me how you feel, it's okay," he smiled at me, trying to hide his concern.

"It keeps getting worse," I admitted, and I began to cry a little.

"Try taking deep breaths," he suggested, but I shook my head.

"I can't," I said, closing my eyes for a brief moment.

"Why?" Jack then took my hand, implying that he wanted me to squeeze it if I had to.

"It hurts to breathe," my voice was shaky, and I couldn't help but feel guilty when I saw Jack's reaction to my words.

"It hurts to breathe?" He repeated what I said, wishing he had heard me wrong. I nodded, seeing Jack's heart drop as I did. "I'm sorry," he said, trying to hold tears back.

"It isn't your fault," I said, but he shook his head.

"I shouldn't of let myself get caught off guard like that, if they hadn't grabbed me I could've helped," he began to ramble, growing louder.

"Jack, it's okay, please don't blame yourself," I pleaded, making him smile again. Right as he did, the worst wave I had felt yet hit me, causing me to tense up as much as I could and close my eyes tight.

"I know it hurts but try taking a deep breath," Jack said, and I attempted. I only got halfway into breathing in when I knew I couldn't, and I screamed out in pain. I felt Jack get up quickly, rushing to the door to get Race. "I dunno what to do," I heard Jack say as the two came back in, and I was still feeling just as bad as I did when Jack left.

"Let's sit him up so he's not layin' on any cuts," Race said, and I heard the two come to each side of the bed. "Hey, Crutchie, we're gonna help get you to sit up, okay?" He explained, but I didn't respond at all, unable to do so. They began to lift me and I felt worse yet, screaming again.

"We're hurting him," Jack said in a panic, and I forced the two off of me so I could lay back down.

"Crutchie I know it hurts but if you sit up it'll help," Race said, ignoring Jack. "Okay, lift him again," he spoke sternly, and I felt them begin to lift me again. Finally, I was sitting up, still finding it hard to breathe. Jack then sat down on the bed, and I leaned forward so I could rest my head on his chest and sob.