Chapter 10: Francis

"I knew something about this family wasn't right. I stood outside their apartment door, not daring to move a muscle in fear that my sudden movement will distract me from listening to what they were saying. "He's with her right now, and it's only a matter of time until he does what we say." a male voice said. A female voice laughed weirdly. What in the world are they talking about? Whatever it was, I know that (f/n) is in trouble, and I need to look into this more."

~Your POV~

My parents called me in and told me that they ordered a pizza. I took a box and brought it to my room, wanting to be alone for a while. When I closed the door to my room, I set the pizza box on the bed and started tearing up. Watching that sunset with Mark tonight was just...blissful. I didn't want it to end. But it did, and I couldn't be anymore upset than I am right now.

I turned the T.V. on and started eating my pizza while lying on my bed. The show that was on was called Degrassi. I've seen some old episodes of this show when I was hitting puberty, but I never really understood everything that went on in it. Now, however, I understand everything. This episode was a lovey-dovey sort. Just my luck, right?

I watched the episode with brave eyes, and cried at a breakup scene that happened in the middle of the episode duration. The two people breaking up in the show were named Eli and Clare. Eli was driving a car while talking to Clare on the phone. Their situation wasn't exactly related to me and Mark's, but Clare reminded me of me and Eli reminded me of Mark. Mark attempted suicide because our relationship was always coming to a halt for almost no reason. Eli felt betrayed because Clare didn't meet up with him. Instead, she went to the spring dance.

Besides the suicide thing, I can't relate me and Mark's relationship to this particular relationship on T.V. We're always breaking up and getting back together. Sometimes, I wonder if it's even worth it.

I found myself eating more pizza than intended, but I didn't care. I needed to gain weight again thanks to losing weight back when I was kidnapped. Just being here in L.A. made me forget about the assholes in Ohio. My friends betrayed me, Mark broke my heart again, hit me, and I'm sure that more shit is going to go down while I'm trying to repair myself.

~Mark's POV~

It's past nine o'clock and I'm still at the beach at (f/n)'s hotel building. I didn't plan on staying here much longer because I wanted to go home and rest soon. I held my phone out in front of me with her message thread on screen. I was so tempted to send her a message, but I was too hesitant. I wanted to see her before she went out to hang with "Francis Schmidt". What's so good about him anyway? I'm sure that I have better qualities than that dick. I have no idea who he was, so I'm basically thinking these things out of jealousy and envy.

The moon was in the sky behind me. The light on the moon was shining against the water of the ocean, which made the climaxes of the waves stand out better. It's as if the water was unnaturally shiny.

I stood up from the sand, turning my phone screen off, and headed to my car. I have a lot of thinking to get done before I head to bed.

~Skylar's POV~

I wanted to go to (f/n)'s apartment to apologize to her instead of helping Nikki, Daniel, and Kevin set up a revenge plan against her. I don't care what those three say about me wanting to be her friend. I'll take the bullying if it means being friends with a sweet girl like her.

Her apartment door was locked when I tried to turn the knob. It was a little past eleven, and she doesn't sleep until after two nowadays. I knocked on the door loudly. "(F/n)?" I called. I received no answer from anybody, not even her parents. I rolled my eyes and picked the lock with my handy dandy paperclip. I unlocked it within ten seconds and opened the door.

The apartment was darker than Mark's when he was going through his depressed stage. Every single light was off, even the one in her room, and it was creepily quiet in here. I checked her bedroom to find no body lying on the bed. Her bed was perfectly made, no clothes were thrown around like they sometimes were when I came to hang out here. Her closet was open, and a great deal of her clothes were missing from her closet. A suitcase I've grown used to seeing each time I was here was gone, too. "Maybe she went on vacation or something." I said, and shrugged. "I guess I'll talk to Mark instead." I walked out of her apartment and walked down the hallway to Mark's. His door was locked as well. I sighed in frustration and picked his lock, too.

His door opened right away and I stepped in. His apartment was also dark, making me worry for the both of them. Where the hell did they go? Did they go together?

I switched on Mark's light in the kitchen and looked around for some clues. His apartment was cleaner than usual, which freaked me out for some reason. Thanks to Mark's neatness of the place, I found a piece of paper with writing on it. The contents the slip of paper had looked like it was from a doctor or something.

Dr. Kimball. That's what the top left corner read. I read what his handwriting said in the middle of the paper.

Take vacation and clear head.

I sighed a breath of relief, knowing that at least Mark is alright. I looked around more for some clues as to where he might've gone. Knowing him to be famous, he might've went to California or something. I have no idea where (f/n) might've gone, so I decided to find that out right now.

I went to Mark's recording room to sign into (f/n)'s iCloud account to track her down. Yes, I know, it's a weird way to track someone down, but every other way I've came across requires so much more effort.

Her "Find My iPhone" feature on here led me to California, as expected. She did tell me that she and Mark aren't even together anymore. So why are they both in California?

~Your POV~

I woke up at eight in the morning to a knock on my door. I opened it tiredly and saw Francis at the door. I smiled widely and hugged him. "Francis!" I squealed in his arms. My parents peered out their hotel room door and smiled at the sight of us reuniting. Francis hugged me back. "I've missed you so much, (f/n)!" he said back.

We broke the hug and stared at each other happily. My mind immediately erased Mark. Francis has brown hair with bangs, he's dressed as nerdy as ever, and he's just so damn adorable. I think I might be falling for this little geek.

~Mark's POV~

My eyes opened at about eight. Coming to my senses, I realized that (f/n) had plans with this Francis dude. I shot out of bed and threw on a random outfit. "I should have met up with her last night!" I shouted as I slipped my shoes on. I charged out the door after roughly grabbing my car keys. Her hotel room was just a few blocks away from here.

I drove quickly to the hotel building and went inside. I told the people behind the counter that I'm just visiting a friend that's staying here. They gave me (f/n)'s room number and I made my way to the second floor. I saw her down the hallway hugging a man, probably Francis. I stayed behind and stared at those two for as long as their hug lasted. My heart broke. They looked so happy together. Maybe (f/n) is better off with him and not me.

I squeezed my heart tightly until that hurt even more than the emotional pain I'm feeling. I turned the corner and stood against the wall, feeling my legs weaken. I glanced at them once more and I saw Francis kiss her hand like a pure-blooded gentleman. I don't even do that, and I'm most likely older than him. This just proves that I really need to step up my game a little bit and act like more of a gentleman than in that comedy sketch I made yesterday.

Then I started thinking, Is this guy as charitable as I am? Is he warm-hearted? Well, obviously he is because he's acting like a gentleman to (f/n). I peered around the corner and listened to something that Francis was saying. "I've been volunteering at the animal hospital on weekends and we managed to save hundreds of animals on the verge of dying." he said to her parents. Well, I donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to causes who need it most. I slapped that thought out of my head. "Damn, he's too perfect." I said to myself, and walked away, disappointed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damn, francis is perfect. too perfect...or is he?