Chapter 22

"Why am I here again? I was already questioned after what went down in the warehouse," Lucas sighs as Nash sits down across from him. Jason and I sit down as we listen from the outside.

"I'm going to ask one more time, you consent to speak to us without a lawyer?" Nash asks him ignoring his question.

"Yes, just like the first time you guys interrogated me. Now answer and tell me why the fuck you brought me here again," Lucas demands angrily. 

"I'm not going to waste our time, we found this in your bar," Nash says as he puts Lucas' laptop in front of him and we don't miss the flash of recognition in his eyes when he sees it

"How did you find it? I put it in a place where no one would think," Lucas questions as his eyes flicker back to Nash.

"You'll have to thank your old friend for finding it, she's the smartest out of all of us. The only one who knew that we should go back and check a second time and found this hiding in your ceiling," Nash replies with a proud smirk and I internally sigh. But it's clear that Lucas knows that there's nowhere to run and he can't bullshit his way out of this.

"Why am I not surprised, she's probably the smartest person I know," Lucas says with a rueful sigh before it turns into laughter.

"We can't argue with that. We had four officers go through that place, two through the bar itself and the other two in the office. None of them managed to find anything yet the one who just had a hunch to go back did," Jason comments as he glances over at me.

"I trust my instincts, if I have a gut feeling about something I always check it even if I'm sometimes wrong," I reply with a shrug. 

"Start talking Lucas, tell me everything you know," Nash tells him and he lets out another sigh. "You saw the news report. We can up your charge to manslaughter but if you cooperate we can try to get a lesser charge for you."

"Listen man, I didn't even know that it would kill anyone and whoever is making those drugs I don't know. Last year around September I got an email offering to make some extra cash," Lucas tells him as he clasps his hands together. "I was in debt, behind on my rent. Sure I had good business but I still owed the business loan I took out when I was starting and interest was increasing on the debt. I've aired out my frustrations every once in a while when I was working and I guess someone decided to reach out to help."

"At first I thought it was fake because it was too good to be true. They wanted me to do the background work of organizing their warehouse inventory. So I gave them my phone number and we started talking about how things would go," he continues, his fingers running through his hair.

"Did you know he was in debt?" Jason asks me and I shrug my shoulders in response. This is the first time hearing that he was behind in any type of payment.

"Do you know what they sounded like? Female, male or no idea?" Nash questions as he takes notes. "And how much was your debt?"

"I don't know, they sounded like one of those machine calls from telemarketers and as for my debt, two-hundred thousand," Lucas explains and I mentally sigh; this just means they've taken the extra steps to keep their identity hidden, even from the people working for them. 

"Did you already receive payment?" Nash questions and Lucas nods his head.

"The last payment I got was in December and it was ten grand," Lucas answers.

"Do you still have the email?" Nash asks him and Lucas nods his head again before a phone is passed to him. "Open that email for me and send it to this email," he tells him as he puts his business card in front of him. We silently watch Lucas do as Nash orders until he's passing back the phone to Nash. Nash types something on his phone before sliding it into his pocket and I hear the notification sound going off on my phone. I pull it out and see an email from Nash and when I see a forwarded email from him, my eyebrows shoot up when I recognize the username.