Chapter 25: What Fills the Box

Narrator: Totsuki Tea House Culinary Academy: a culinary bastion that continues to produce world-renowned chefs. Their High school first-years are contestants in the Autumn Elections, which is now coming to a head. Those who have survived the preliminary round are now preparing for the next battle.

Right now, Yusuke was in his room talking to Miyuki on the phone with a shocked look in his face.

Yusuke: YOU WHAT!!!?

Miyuki (phone): You heard me.

Yusuke: I mean seriously? Do you have to!?

Miyuki (phone): Do you have a problem with it?

Yusuke: I... Well, you know, I mean-

Miyuki (phone): As I thought, I'm so looking forward to the main tournament, I hope you are too.

Then she hangs up. Yusuke falls on his hands and knees feeling defeated.

Yusuke: I'm doomed.

Then Soma walks into the room

Soma: Hey, Yusuke. Our ride's here.

Yusuke: Right. Let's go then...

Soma notices Yusuke's gloomy state.

Soma: Yusuke, are you okay?

Yusuke: Don't worry about it...

Soma, Yusuke, and the other participants headed to the place where an explanation of the main tournament would take place.

(Later)

Soma was in Eizan's office, along with Satoshi and Erina.

Satoshi: Soma-kun, about the lottery results... You'll be competing in the very first round. The theme for the round is bento.

Soma: Bento? You mean that bento?

Satoshi: That's right. Finish all the necessary preparations today for the match tomorrow.

Soma: Bento, huh... this's academy's more down-to-earth than I thought.

Erina: Ha. What are you talking about? You're ignorant to the extreme. Bento is a food culture unique to Japan. Gourmands have long loved bentos created from high-end seasonal ingredients. Even prominent chefs overseas are familiar with bentos, and the word has even been added to a French dictionary. It is a theme that is justifiably appropriate to a celebration of food. It's an entirely different beast from the B-grade "gourmet" food you're an expert in!

But Soma just laughs.

Soma: I've gotta say, I'm still not a fan of that side of your personality.

Erina: Huh?

Soma: I'm pretty good at talking to people, but man, Nakiri, you're something else.

Erina: What!?

Soma: Things were pretty tense between us on our way back from camp, too!

Erina: What's your point!? I have no idea what you're getting at! You're irritating me!

Satoshi: Oh, this is odd. She don't usually raise her voice.

Eizan checks his phone.

Eizan: Ah, I have a visitor regarding an unrelated topic. *stands up* Excuse me.

Eizan walks past Soma.

Eizan: Soma Yukihira. Try your best to make it through the rounds. It'd be quite a downer if you were to fail in the very first round.

Then he leaves through the door.

Soma: So, who am I up against?

(The Next Day)