Chapter 5: The Ice Queen and The Spring Storm

Yusuke: You're... one of the Elite Ten?

Satoshi: Now... I'd like to try your cooking next, Soma-kun, Yusuke-kun. I wonder what dishes will you two make. Show me what narratives you'll create on your plates.

Soma had a smile of excitement on his face.

Yusuke: Soma?

Soma: (I guess I kind of get why dad sent me here now...)

Soma unwraps his bandage from his wrist.

Soma: Hang on to your seat!

Yusuke: (Isshiki-senpai's dish: Spanish mackerel with Chinese pepper and puree.) Does your family run a traditional Japanese restaurant, by any chance?

Satoshi: Why do you think that?

Soma: Spanish mackerel grilled with Chinese pepper is a common Japanese dish, but it can't be made this well by just any establishment.

Satoshi just smirks, while Yusuke took a bite at the dish.

Yusuke: (The mackerel was grilled to perfection. It's paired with a surprising puree featuring spring cabbage. Yet, it has a mild smooth sweetness that goes well with the mackerel. Spanish mackerel is in season in spring. So the spring cabbage heighten each other's flavors in this pairing. This dish truly has the essence of spring.)

Yusuke and Soma were both at the kitchen.

Soma: Spanish mackerel...

Yusuke: Have you figure out what you'll make?

Soma: Yes. I can use another dish on Yukihira's secret menu. Item number 20!

Satoshi: Yukihira?

Soma: It's the dinner my family runs. I'll use the same ingredient. I'll serve you Yukihira's popular menu item, with the same spring theme as yours. What about you, Yusuke, what are you planning on making.

Yusuke: In that case, I already know what I'm going to make.

Satoshi: ....?

They pulled out their knifes, turned the stoves on and began working. Meanwhile, Yuki and Ryoko were starting to wake up.

Yuki: I guess I passed out.

Ryoko: Oops, I drank too much rice juice.

Yuki: Huh?

The two girls start hearing noises from the kitchen.

Yuki: Kudo and Yukihira are cooking?

Ryoko: Are they still hungry?

Shun: It's apparently a cook-off.

Yuki: Oh, hey, Ibusaki. You were awake? Wait! A Three-way cook-off between them? Why?

Shun: No idea. But Isshiki-senpai started it.

That last part surprised the girls.

Yuki: Are we going to let Senpai's attire pass without comment?

Ryoko: We shouldn't interfere in a cook-off.

Yuki: Yeah...

Soma and Yusuke: All done!

Soma presents his dish.