Chapter 20: The Dragon Lies Down and Ascends the Skies

Megumi, Soma and Yusuke were at the kitchen looking at the topic for the elections. 

Soma: Hm? What's wrong, Tadokoro?

Megumi: After seeing Hayama-kun with his different curries... I guess I'm feeling a little down.

Yusuke: Were they really that good?

Megumi: Yeah. There's just a little over a month till the elections.

Megumi was panicking as she was all over the place.

Megumi: How can I even come up with a dish in that time that'd stand up to someone like Hayama-kun?

Soma: At my family's diner, when I'd get at good look at my dad working away, I could tell, y'know? I still have so much to learn. But dad still made me come up with new menu items. I got so nervous. I was only in sixth grade.

Yusuke: Really?

Megumi: ...O-O... I'd never be able to deal with that much pressure!

Soma: But... If I let that stuff get to me, I'll never be able to come up with anything. For me, not measuring up right now isn't a problem at all. If I can't find it in myself to admit defeat in my family's diner or in this cooking contest, I just gotta keep pushing on, you know?

Megumi: Okay! Yeah!

Yusuke: Now, about the topic... we learn so far how important spices are, but there's more to it.

Only 6 weeks before the Autumn Elections, and the hot summer facing curry began... The Polar Star girls were at the dining room studying the different kinds of spices for their recipes.

Yuki: Approximately 40 varieties of spices may be used in typical curries. So you have to pick ten or twenty in a blend... Okay.

Ryoko: Some spices may cancel each other out, so you can't just throw random spices together.

Megumi: You have to figure out whether to use spices whole, ground, or fresh, as well as deciding which oils and cooking methods to use to maximize their flavor, which roasting and maturation should be used... and whether they pair well with the ingredients.

Megumi's brain exploded as it was too much information to process.

Yuki: Come back! ...T^T... Megumi!

Meanwhile, Shun was in a kitchen working on a recipe, Zenji was in his room reading about curry, while Soma was in his room trying out different spices.

Soma: (Spices are important, sure... but they're not the only thing.)

(Meanwhile)

At Don RS, Konishi was congratulating Ikumi for qualifying for the elections.

Konishi: Well, it's a great honor to have one of our Don RS members to be selected as a candidate! Use your super-high-quality meat to score a spot in the main tournament, Nikumi! *Devilish look* Then we'll rake in gobs of club funds and benefits, and attract scores of members! Don RS's future will be secured!

Ikumi: It's not that simple.

Konishi: Huh?

Ikumi: It's not just about serving good meat. I'll have to figure out the best combination of spices and make sure I choose the right meat. My greatest weapon is meat dishes! I'll create a curry dish that'll take the best advantage of that!

Konishi: *In tears* You'll go so far for Don RS? NIKUMI...

Konishi was instantly kicked in the face by an angry Ikumi.

Ikumi: Forget that!

(Meanwhile)

Takumi was on the way to the bus stop with his luggage and Isami was accompanying him.