Chapter 45: Keep Going

ابدأ من البداية

"Rick, you don't have to do it. We can clear the bodies," Glenn offered.

"No, I have to do it."

Rick didn't stay long after that. He checked on our plans for the long day ahead and, once satisfied, dived back into a deeper part of the prison without even second thought to his daughter.

With a sigh, I glanced around the room at all the slightly concerned faces. But there was nothing we could say that would help Rick.

"Right, um, I know that this isn't a great time right now and I wish there was something I could say or do to make it any better for all of you but there isn't. What I can do though is do my best to help keep us safe. So I'm going to go through the prison to check over it and see if I can't find any week points. Anyone who wants to is free to join me," I said kindly before handing little ass-kicker over to Beth who seemed to have more of a natural talent with her than I did.

"Ain't just your job, L," Daryl spoke up.

"Daryl's right. We appreciate what you don't get me wrong but you don't need to carry all the weight. Maggie and I'll go on a run later," Glenn said and put a hand on my shoulder.

"I'll help ya sweep the prison," Daryl added.

"So will I." Oscar nodded.

                                   ***

I was ahead of the others sweeping through the dark and grimy corridors. With torch in one hand and gun in the other, I went by every door checking if it was open and checking if there was anything lurking behind with as much caution as I had the patience for.

I was so focused on what I was doing , in fact, I hadn't noticed that Daryl had begun to speak.

"You know my Mom, she liked her wine. And she likes to smoke in bed. Virginia slims. I was playing out with kids in the neighbourhood. I could do that with Merle gone. They had bikes. I didn't."

Despite what he was saying I shot Daryl a small smile knowing what he was trying to do for Carl. I only hoped Carl wouldn't ask about my Mother next.

"We heard sirens gettin' louder and they jumped in their bikes. I ran after it y'now hopin' to see something worth seeing. I ran after em but I couldn't keep up. I ram round the corner n saw my friends looking at me. Hell, I saw everybody lookin' at me. Firetrucks everywhere, people from the neighbourhood. It was my house they were there for. That was my Mom in bed burnt down to nothin'. That's the hard part, she's just gone, erased. Nothing left of her. Just didn't seem real y'know."

Part of me hated that in a way I couldn't relate. That to me it would be a blessing if my parents had just both been erased. Because then I'd still have my brother. The only person I was related to that actually gave a damn about. The only person who cared about me for the first sixteen years of my life.

"I shot my Mom. She was out. Hadn't turned yet. I ended it. It was really," Carl spoke quite bluntly and it was starting to make me regret my decision just a little. Letting him shoot Lori but...what's done is done all I can do is try and keep the promises I made to her.

"I'm sorry about your Mom," Carl offered.

"I'm sorry about yours."

We kept on moving through and keeping a close eye out when suddenly Oscar got excited and began cheering to himself. I was stuck between rolling my eyes and laughing when I realised it was over a pair of slippers.

"Seriously, what do you need slippers for?" I questioned putting a hand on my hip and staring at the man.

"For the end of the day! Relaxing," He answered.

The loud groans of a zombie suddenly filled the air and we all jerked around in surprise and fired. Carl, Oscar and I all fired our guns peppering the wandering corpse with holes whilst Daryl sunk an arrow into its head.

"Do you think we got it or should another twenty rounds do the trick?" The sarcastic words left my mouth before I could even think about stopping them.

"Great timing as ever fancy pants," Daryl muttered as he crouched down to retrieve his arrow.

"Hey, you know me. I'm the Queen of ill-timed and occasional inappropriate comments," I replied following suit and watching as Daryl pulled a knife from the body's throat. Blood splurted from both ends of the hole.

"Isn't that Carol's?"

I didn't want to be too hopeful after all it was only a knife. It wasn't actually her or a definitive proof of life. Though I desperately wanted it to be.

"Yeah, it is," Daryl confirmed and gave me an uncertain look.

"You guys can head back to the cell block we've done all we can for now in this section I'm going to stay a little while to double-check the area," I said glancing at the corridor behind me.

"I'm stayin' with ya. Sure Oscar here can get them both back safe," Daryl looked at Oscar slightly sternly.

The continually calm man nodded in reply and grabbed Carl by the shoulder and began to lead him back through the corridors as I continued my search for Carol with Daryl hoping it wasn't all just in vain.

It was beginning to look more and more like that was the case. When we returned to the spot where we had begun I kicked the nearest corpse furiously sending it slamming into the wall. With a heavy sigh, I slide down the wall with my head in my hands. Daryl sat down beside me in silence knowing how I was feeling and correctly deciding that talking wasn't what was needed right now.

The place was utterly silent apart from the rhythmic clanging of a door gently opening and then closing again. The noise rattled about the room and was starting to get into my head as it became more and more irritating to hear. Though the sounds of Daryl stabbing his knife into the ground could also be heard the clanging door seemed to stand out.

With an annoyed huff, I jumped off the floor and kicked the door hard.
"Will you just shut the fuck up!"
I knew I was screaming at a damn door but at the moment I was too emotional to care. I began to pace back and force and yet the clanging persisted worming its way further into my skull.

"Fucking walkers," I growled and chucked the body away from the door.

Daryl was already on his feet with his knife in hand. No words were exchange debut we both knew what was happening.

I yanked the door open and Daryl dived in with his knife but stopped abruptly. His whole expression softened completely.

"Carol?"