02 | his lost love

"Zubaan khamosh ankhon mein nami hogi,
Yahi bas meri ek dastan-e-zindagi hogi,
Bharne ko toh har zakham bhar jayega,
Kaise bharegi wo jagah jaha teri kami hogi."

"

~ Author ~

~ Author ~

3 Years Ago

Mumbai, India

The night fascinated Kabir. It was something in that darkness of the night, something that made him feel so powerful over himself, that led him to control everything— even his emotions. The day was overrated, it was too loud. There was a calmness in the dark, something that kept him grounded.

The night was still young. The wind was light, nothing too harsh. The cold air added to the beauty of the starry night sky as he leaned against the railing of his balcony, admiring the night sky. Mumbai looked beautiful at night. People were busy and so were the roads, he could faintly hear the traffic. No one in Mumbai ever sleeps. Some go for work, some go for parties and some people like him, tend to stay indoors till late at night and enjoy the view.

In the night he was part of nature, alive and unseeing, existing only as himself. With eyes closed, he felt at home and the darkness around was his cocoon, a place in which his dreams may flow freely. So, as the moon and stars shone above the passing clouds of ink, as the air released the heat of the day, his brain conjured a new movie for his inner eye.

Two hands snaked their way around his waist, holding onto him as the person rested their head on his back. Kabir traced the fingers with his hand in a slow, tantalising motion and the person behind him shivered.

"What are you doing?" Radhika, his fiance, asked him. Kabir held onto her hands and clasped them around himself securely. "Admiring the night," he answered like always.

"The usual," she remarked as she knew it was his favourite thing to do. Kabir was the thinker and she was the talker. They were like pieces in a puzzle, perfectly fitting into each other's imperfect lives.

"You still ask me about it," he murmured as he watched the stars, trying to locate a constellation.

"It's our thing," she shrugged. He thinks, she asks. Just the usual. Kabir unwrapped her arms and pulled her in front, caging her between him and the railing. He observed her. Her face shone under the night, illuminating her.