Chapter 17 - Advice

Start from the beginning

"Heya Jack, where's Crutchie?" Scott asked, taking me by surprise a little.

"Oh, he's staying home today." I said, Race coming to my side, as he knew how much I hated these kids.

"Damn, he sick?" Oscar then asked, and I glanced at Race, trying to let him know that I was alright.

"No, he got beat real bad a few days ago and broke his arm and twisted his ankle, so he can't walk for a day or two." I noticed Scott smirk a bit as I described what was wrong, making me stare at him a bit. Once he noticed he went back to looking worried, and I looked at Race, seeing if he had noticed, too. 

"Hope he gets well soon," Bobby chimed in, and the three walked away. 

I then got on the wagon, sending everyone out for the day. Race and I walked for a bit before he sighed, looking at me. 

"Jack, did you notice anything weird?" He asked, and I shrugged. 

"Nothing too off, why?" I looked back at him, seeing that he seemed worried.

"Can we talk after we're done sellin'?" I nodded, smiling.

"'Course we can," Race then turned the corner to head to his spot, smiling back.

"Alright, I'll meet you at my room then," he then took off, and I did the same.

I was able to put it out of my mind as I sold, wanting to make sure I got rid of every pape I had so I could get Crutchie dinner. Once I had finished I went straight to Race's room in the lodging house, wanting to get back to Crutchie as soon as I could. I only had to wait for a few minutes, Race smiling at me as he showed up. We went into his room and sat down on his bed, and he looked at me, taking a deep breath.

"So, did you notice anything when you talked to Bobby, Scott, and Oscar this morning?" I looked away, thinking.

"I mean, I thought it was weird that they even asked, and I saw Scott smile while I talked about Crutchie, but otherwise no," I looked back at Race, and I could tell he knew something I didn't. "Why?"

"Well, Crutchie said that he fought off one of them with his crutch at first, right?" I nodded, feeling my heart drop as I realized where he was going with it. "Scott had bruises on his arms and legs. And, I know that doesn't mean outright that they did it, but when you think about it..." He trailed off, and I looked down, growing angry. 

"Those fuckers," I said, standing up and pacing so I could try to calm down. "Do you really think it was them?" I asked, and he nodded.

"They made fun of him that one night, right? And then they just... Ask how he's doing, and Scott fucking smiled when you said that his arm was broken 'n stuff, and only he had bruises and the other two didn't," he explained, and I was unable to calm myself.

"Go get them and bring them in here. Now." I said sternly, and Race got up, rushing out the door. It wasn't long before he showed back up with them, closing the door and blocking it with his body so they couldn't leave. "Why were you asking about Crutchie?" I wasted no time asking, seeing them stare at me with wide eyes.

"We were worried-"

"Bullshit," Bobby began, but I quickly cut him off. I then turned my attention towards Scott, knowing he'd be the one to crack as he always bragged about the fights he got in. "Where'd you get those bruises from, Scott?" I asked, inches away from his face.

"A fight." He said bluntly, staring back at me. 

"Really, with who?" I pushed, knowing he'd fess up at any moment. "C'mon, you can tell me, Scott, can't you? Or do you think I'll be upset about who you fought- or should I say beat up?" He took a deep breath, clenching his jaw in order not to talk. "Hm, looks like those bruises were made my some sort of stick or somethin'. DId the person you fight have a weapon? Or were they completely defenseless and had to use the only think they had?" I continued pushing, and I stayed silent now as I noticed he clenched his fists, getting ready to confess.