all is lost.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX.

—❝ HURT ME WHERE YOU ARE ❞

HURT ME WHERE YOU ARE

The quiet clinking of his fork against the plate was the only sound that came from his direction as Eric droned on and on about something work related. Finn didn't really care, tuning the sound of his voice out into some white noise.

He sat across from his mother, sparing a few glances her way every few moments. She was wearing a small smile as she listened to Eric explaining whatever it was that's been keeping him busy with such great detail. It was his way of covering up the truth.

Which is exactly why Finn hated being sat down for dinner like this. He was forced to watch as whatever worries Mary had were swept away because of Eric's convincing lies. All that time he spent beating himself up over the fact he couldn't bring himself to tell his own mother the truth, it all went to waste in the end.

None of it mattered. Mary could worry herself to death and Eric would still be able to come up with some convincing lie to keep her perfect reality intact.

Because he knew that if she were to get hit with the truth, her entire world would crumble down around her. That scared him more than anything. To watch her fall apart in silence until one day she truly snapped, he didn't even want to think of it.

He had his own similar worries to deal with when it came to Millie.

The drifting thought of her shocked every ounce of his being. Electrified from the time they spent together before she felt unwelcome because of his own piece of shit dad. And even though he was well aware how uncomfortable she would have been to have stayed, he really wished she was here with him right now.

"Finn?" His mother's voice called out to him, grounding him back to the present.

His eyes drifted up, confused. "Yeah?"

"She asked you a question," Eric interjected with a harsh tone.

Finn glanced towards him briefly, his jaw tightening. He released a soft breath before looking towards Mary with a small smile. "I, uh, I was kind of thinking. I didn't hear."

She smiled warmly, the total opposite of his father. "It's fine. I was just asking about your new friend. I haven't met her yet but she was here earlier?"

He bit the inside of his cheek, cursing his dad silently. Of course he went on and told her about Millie. Not that there was anything bad about it, but considering how much he liked to talk down on Lilia, he just knew that the man was bound to do the same when it came to Millie.