are we still friends.

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO.

—❝ BUT I'VE GOT TO KNOW ❞

BUT I'VE GOT TO KNOW

Most of the day was spent in solitude. The quiet that surrounded her became unbearable after a certain point, which brought her to blasting music loudly throughout the bedroom. It was a bit of an escape as she danced around freely, singing along loudly, letting her mind become so busy and full that she couldn't even understand a single thought that passed through.

All she needed was to feel happier. And for those hours spent within her personal confinement, she began to forget details of the world. Because as far as the eye could see, that was as far as the world went. Anything beyond these walls dissipated into a fog within the back of her mind.

Nothing seemed to exist. Her senses focused solely in the present, locked within her own presence. She was the center of gravity, grounded to this world, her spirit soaring freely.

Millie was breathless as she allowed herself to burn through this energy as long as she could ride that high. No particular activity in mind, allowing her feet to guide her from one spot to the next. Eventually, makeup and jewelry were strewn along her vanity, various articles of clothing dispersed around the bedroom floor. She was wreaking havoc in her space, the mess a clear reflection of the current state of mind she held.

But she didn't care, continuing her countless acts of dressing up one way or another before starting all over again. This world of hers was bright, even more lively. It dug her out of the darkness she had fallen into within the previous days. Warmth surrounded her, the darkness kept at bay as she smiled and laughed to herself, absolutely delighted.

It wasn't until she stepped into the shower, scalding water washing over her bare body, that she felt the cold grip of loneliness creep in.

Loneliness strangled her as she placed her hands out along the tiled wall, legs wobbling, strainful as she kept herself upright. Whatever light had managed to blind her for so long, it had vanished just as quickly as it arrived.

Snuffed out by darkness, a sudden urge to cry erupted. Tears pooled within her eyes, the remnants of a lost sparkled. It would have been so easy to let those tears stream along with the droplets that fell down from the shower. Yet, somehow, she held back.

Right then, she was numb. No feeling entered, nothing escaped. There was just nothing left. Every emotion that flooded her within her burst of happiness, it was gone.

In their place, her thoughts began to piece together. Muddled nonsense became coherent, one word at a time, phrasing every worry and doubt she hadn't allowed to surface.