𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝓱𝓲𝓻𝓽𝔂

(Quick A/n: So, for this part, I'm just going to have it where they didn't throw the bodies, including the Levi Squad, off of the wagons to get away from the Titans. Just wanted to clarify that so no one's confused. So enjoy!)

--------

The ride back to the Calaneth District was a very uncomfortable one. Madison's body wouldn't stop shaking, her heart wouldn't stop twisting and turning with guilt and helplessness. Tears upon tears had flowed from her eyes as she sat in the wagon next to Eren and Mikasa, with the Levi Squad just at the end of it.

Arriving in the city didn't make it any easier. There were people in dismay at the amount of casualties coming back, some were complaining about how their money was going into this, and then..there were the families.

"Captain Levi! I'm Petra's father and I understand she's on your squad. Is she nearby? I would really love to see her."

Madison looked away, a sob falling quietly from her mouth. She knew about Petra's father. He had been writing to Petra for the past month and she even mentioned Madison a few times in her letters back. And in the last letter he sent before the expedition, he wrote,

If Madison has this power like Section Commander Snow, then you're in capable hands. But..you also have to protect her, too. That's your duty as a soldier. Protect your fellow comrades.

Petra did her duty. However, Madison knew she didn't do the same. And her dead body was proof of it. Mikasa noticed her friend crying across from her and had stepped around Eren to sit next to her, rubbing her back gently as a form of comfort. After leaving the crowd of frustrated and grieving chaos, Madison saw Eren sit up, grunting as he struggled to, his head feeling lightheaded.

"Eren..don't get up. You need to lay down." Madison simply stated, placing a hand on his shoulder. "N-No..I can't just..lay here.."

"Madison!" The three heard, all looking forward and see Greta run up towards them, climbing up into the wagon from the side as she did. "What happened?! Are you guys okay?!"

"We got ambushed. We can't say much here, but...a lot of Scouts died today. Including them." Madison replied, nodding her head towards the four bodies wrapped at the edge of the wagon. Greta looked to them, her eyes widened and her body shuddering as she realized who's bodies they were.

"Is that..the Levi Squad?"

Madison nodded, looking away from them and looking back to Eren. She saw his eyes well up with tears while looking at their bodies, his arm quickly flying up to his mouth to cover the sob that escaped. He felt like he failed, as did Madison. This wasn't easy on anyone, and it definitely wasn't easy on them.

'Why do I feel like I failed a lot of people today, Dad? Why be born with a power that I can't even save a squad from certain death with?' Madison thought to herself while staring unconsciously down at her hands.
---

"Maddie? Are you okay?" Madison heard from out the bathroom, her puffy eyes looking over at it. Having just washed herself off, she still felt the blood of her dead comrades run down her body. She stared at herself in the mirror sobbing almost silently at the events of that day.

It was just like her nightmare. Everyone had died. All except Levi. But even so, she knew it would happen eventually. Maybe not now, or later, or tomorrow, even years from now. Who knows, but she knew it would happen.

She soon got herself together, wiping her face of new shed tears and opened the door, revealing a worried Christa staring up at her.

"I-I'll be okay, Christa. I just..need some air. I-I'll be back." Madison responded, walking past her blonde friend and straight towards the door. "Oh, okay..well just be careful. It's dark out."