Sanctuary

I drove back into the city, not caring how late it was getting as I used my hands-free to the max, calling in favours with various contacts as I put the next stage of my plan into action. Time was of the essence, and I wasn't going to be going home until everything was done.

"Miss Isles, how lovely it is to see you again," Lance smiled brightly, opening my car door and offering me his hand.

I allowed him to help me from the car, amused by the way that he never failed to seize an opportunity to flirt.

"It's good to see you too," I replied, returning his smile.

He looked as handsome and immaculate as ever, wearing a smart grey, designer suit that brought out the piercing silver of his eyes. He wore no tie, the collar hanging open just enough to tease at his toned chest. His blonde hair was neatly styled and he bore stylish stubble across his chiselled jaw.

"You can touch too, you know?" He teased, smirking at me.

I laughed the first genuine laugh in what felt like weeks, locking my car and shoving him playfully.

Lance and I had known one another since we were fifteen. Our fathers were good friends and that had made us close too. There'd always been some playful banter and flirtation between us, but underneath the suggestive remarks and harmless flirtation, we were only friends.

"I looked through everything we had as soon as you called," He explained as we entered the lift, hitting the number twelve, and drawing a brochure out of his inner jacket pocket, "And this place fits all of your requirements."

The lift doors opened onto a modest, but stylish hallway. Soft cream carpet lined the hallway, and warm cream walls were glowing under the soft lighting from the modern lights placed along the wall at intervals.

"This is the one," He said simply, taking a key card out of his pocket and pushing it into the lock.

There was a click and then the door released, letting us into the apartment. It was simplistic but beautiful. Balancing the neutral tones of warm hardwood flooring and furniture, with white walls, mirror panels and a silvery blue feature wall which was home to a large flat-screen tv, and a fitted electric fire. A charcoal grey, plush rug sat in the centre of the room with white upholstered sofas and armchairs positioned around a glass-topped coffee table.

"It's a secure building, encrypted key cards make it impossible to gain access to apartments by any other means. There are three bedrooms, two through there," He explained, gesturing to a hallway off of the right of the living room, and one through there," He added gesturing in the opposite direction. "Two separate bathrooms, all-inclusive, with bath and shower," He turned toward a small kitchen area, leaning against the counter as I circled to the other side, "And a lovely kitchen with built-in appliances."

"It's perfect," I agreed. "I knew I could count on you."

He laughed, leaning forward and sliding the brochure toward me.

"You know I'd do anything for you, Care Bear."

"Then don't use that nickname," I laughed, swatting him with the brochure.

He danced out of my reach, cackling with glee.

"C'mon, I'll show you 'round," He offered.

The place was everything I hoped, and more. Not that I was surprised, Lance's family owned, and ran, some of the most impressive apartment buildings and even hotels, in all of the US.

"And what about the other things I asked for?" I asked as we returned to the living room.

"All covered. Positions have been secured and are ready for whenever you are."