Chapter 42

Just as I'd thought, the only real health problems the doctors found were iron poisoning and exhaustion. After getting an injection of deferoxamine for the iron toxicity plus a brief stint of IV electrolytes, I was cleared to leave. Instead, I sought out a room a few doors down from mine.

"Aizawa," I announced my presence softly as I stood in the doorway to my coworker's hospital room.

"Hara," he replied in the same tone, as if we were meeting in the teacher lounge rather than the hospital. "Good to see you up and moving."

"Same to you. Weren't you stabbed?" I asked, raising a brow at the fact the man was standing and gathering his things.

"Yeah. I only needed a few stitches though. You looked pretty rough there at the end. You over-extended your quirk again, didn't you?" he asked, suddenly sounding more like my teacher again instead of my peer.

I shrugged, forcing a half smirk. "Kinda had to, since that asshole's quirk zapped all my energy. Normally the amount I used it today wouldn't have even phased me, but his draining quirk really did a number." The smile died just as quick as it had appeared. "I'm on my way to go check on the students, and then to go see Sir Nighteye. You wanna come?" I asked in a softer tone.

The dark-haired hero shook his head. "You go see Nighteye, I'll tend to the students," he suggested.

I pursed my lips, considering. "I'd really like to know how the kids are doing," I said.

"I'll text you any updates, don't worry," he offered and I nodded in acceptance before turning away. "Oh, and Hara?" the pro stopped me, and I glanced back. "Call your boyfriend. You and I both know he'd want to be here."

A sigh escaped me and I grimaced. "How do you know I haven't already called him?" I retorted, despite putting no real energy into the bluff.

Aizawa merely snorted. "Just call him."

As I walked down the hall, fiddling with the phone in my hands, my internal dialogue was arguing with my knowledge of right and wrong very nervously. Of course I needed to call Toshi. Duh. But...

But, shit, I really didn't want to tell him all this. I didn't want to hear the concern and worry in his voice. I was scared of the panic I'd see in his eyes when he arrived knowing his successor and his girlfriend had both ended up needing medical treatment, and that a man he'd once been very close to might very well be fighting for his life.

Hospital staff directed me to a waiting room, informing me that Nighteye was in emergency surgery to remove the stone spike, but the look in the nurse's eye told me all I needed to know.

They weren't holding out much hope.

After entering, I was unsurprised to find I wasn't alone in the waiting room. Bubble Girl sat in one of the chairs sobbing with Centipeder's arm around her shoulders. "PuriFire," he greeted me somberly.

"Hey," I said, ducking my head and feeling very awkward. What the hell was I supposed to say? I cleared my throat and started hesitantly, "Um... I was going to call All Might. I- I think he'd want to know, and Sir Nighteye... do you think he'd want him here?"

Bubble Girl raised her head, eyes shining with overflowing tears, but I also saw gratitude for my words. "I think he'd really like that. Yeah," she hiccupped. "He's always a-admired All Might so much."

Nodding, I turned back around, closing the door behind me and leaning against the wall in the hallway. I was still so tired, but the weight I felt now was emotional; I could barely stand.

The phone only rang once before it was hastily answered. "Mei?" his deep voice greeted me, and I could tell he was trying - and failing - to keep the anxious note out of his tone.