Chapter 41

Six am came bright and early, and I stood beside Aizawa, periodically yawning and speculating how the hell the always-tired pro seemed to be more awake than I was. The kids - particularly Togata - seemed to be even more pumped, and I wondered at such a display of youthful energy at this early hour. Had I ever been that kind of morning person?

The answer was no. Never.

We were briefed on the situation's latest at Sir Nighteye's agency before assembling along with the police in front of the station. Once everyone was prepared, the detective rallying the forces gave another report summarizing it all. By that point I was definitely more awake (although still mourning the fact I hadn't had time for my normal cup of coffee before leaving this morning). The adrenaline was starting to build now, along with the rage and the nerves. However, I kept reminding myself to breathe deeply and stay calm, all while Toshinori's words to me before I left kept ringing in my mind.

He had been quiet as I got ready this morning, but hovered in a way that made it more than obvious he was concerned, yet trying to hide it. I was about to head out the door, and went to kiss him goodbye when he pulled me tight against his chest, burying his face in my hair. "Come home to me, okay?" he whispered, voice rough. "Promise you won't do anything stupid."

I managed a small laugh, trying to comfort him with my voice - he really didn't need to worry. This may be my first legally authorized mission, but it was far from my first rodeo. "I won't do anything you wouldn't do," I said lightly, then chuckled when he groaned.

"That's what I'm afraid of."

"I'll be fine - I'll probably be stuck in with the students and saved from the worst of it since I don't have a license. Have a little more faith in me," I pouted, and he pulled back to scrutinize my face.

"I have every faith in you, Mei. I know you'll do fantastic... But accidents happen. Casualties happen even among the best of the best. Just don't let me find out that you were a casualty - do that for me. And keep young Midoriya out of trouble if you're able, too - I really, really don't want to spend the night by anyone's hospital bed tonight."

"Now you're really asking a lot," I said and he scowled, not very impressed by my tease. The retired hero sighed as he bowed his head and leaned his forehead against mine.

"Be safe," he asked one last time, and I closed my eyes as I nodded.

"I will. I love you," I said, before kissing him goodbye, and savoring the feel of it for one more moment when he replied back, "I love you too."

And now that I was here, it was feeling a lot more real than it had felt in the safety of my home earlier, and I knew I had to keep my anger in check if I was to keep my promise to Toshinori. Remorse and rage would make me far too reckless if I let my emotions consume me, and even now as I felt nausea roll in my stomach, I made a promise to myself as well that I wouldn't let my past get in the way today. Justice would be served, and I would do my best to help within the confines of the law.

God help me, Ren, I hope you won't be disappointed with me, I sighed internally, unconsciously glancing upwards.

Thirty minutes later and we were in place. Per Sir Nighteye's instructions, I was to stick with those from his agency, and I was perfectly okay with that. Maybe I actually could keep Midoriya out of trouble for once, as novel of an idea as it may seem.

It all started so quickly. One moment it was dead quiet as the detective approached the intercom to read the warrant - the next, all hell broke loose. While Ryukyu and her sidekicks began battle with the giant villain who'd come crashing through the gate, the rest of the forces darted inside.