Chapter 36

"Well, we've been dating a couple weeks now and I've yet to actually take you on a proper date," Toshinori said as he leaned against the edge of the bathroom sink, watching the half-dressed woman apply her makeup. The view was quite enjoyable, and even if they were already fifteen minutes late for the reservations he'd made (which they were), and even if Mei was asking silly questions (which she was) he was content to stay here with his hands shoved in his pockets and watch her all night if he must.

"Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that you could have given me a little more warning," she grumbled, lower lip protruding in a slight pout that was positively adorable. "You didn't learn about springing surprises on me after I-island?"

The tall man chucked and rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah, I still don't get why you were so angry about that, by the way." Mei merely muttered under her breath, and while he couldn't make out everything she said he managed to catch the words "oblivious" and "men" along with what he was pretty sure was a swear.

He thought it had sounded like a romantic idea (dinner and a movie was a classic combo, right?). While granted he wasn't exactly an expert on the whole dating thing, he didn't know he had to give her advanced warning if he wanted to take her out; apparently an hour before their reservation wasn't enough.

In the other room her cell phone rang and she groaned. "Would you get that?" she asked and he nodded, pushing off from the countertop.

A quick glance at the name displayed on the screen made him snort through his nose in amusement, and he called back through the open door in confusion, "The caller ID says 'Dumbass.'"

"It's Ankoku," she clarified. "Answer it and put it on speaker if you don't mind so I can keep getting ready." After he did as she asked she glanced at the phone on the counter in mild annoyance. "What do you want?"

"Why are you always so aggressive when you answer the phone?" the voice on the other end drawled. "You could try saying 'hi' for once."

"I'm a little busy right now," Mei ignored his jab, "Is this important?"

"Well I'd say so, as long as you're still interested in catching the League of Villains, that is," Chiba answered, sounding rather unimpressed. Toshinori couldn't stop the startled cough that ripped its way from his chest, and Mei fumbled her make up brush. "Wha- who's coughing? Who else is there, Mei?"

"You should have made sure I was alone before saying something like that, dummy. But in any case, it's just All Might, so you're fine," she scolded.

"Is this information that should be discussed over the phone?" Toshinori pointed out hesitantly. "Are you in a secure location, young man?"

It was obvious why the two were friends as the hero felt like he could practically hear the eye roll over the phone. "I'm in my own apartment, so I'd say it's good enough. And I've got several blockers installed on my phone so it's unlikely anyone would be able to tap my line even if they knew I had this info to begin with. Chill out, hero."

"Don't be a jerk," Mei instantly chastised him. "And in any case, he's right. This should probably be an in-person conversation. How time sensitive is the information?"

"I don't think anything is going to happen within the next day or so - maybe. But something's building. I've got a bad feeling about this."

"Shit," the woman sighed, before shooting the blonde a guilty look. "Toshi, how mad you would you be if I postponed our date?"

"That's what you're worried about right now? Getting it in?" Chiba asked incredulously and All Might felt his face heat.

"I told you not to be an ass!" Mei growled at the phone. "Shut up for a second."