Chapter 23

Getting Yagi back to the hotel unnoticed was a challenge, especially considering he couldn't hold his hero form for even a few seconds. Eventually though, we managed, and after his room door shut behind us, he leaned heavily on the wall.

"Tonight's been monumentally exhausting," he sighed, running a hand over his face. On our way here he'd filled me in on the parts I'd missed, so I knew that statement referred to the mental and emotional exhaustion as well as the physical.

"How's your side? Do you need help patching yourself up?" I asked hesitantly. He'd refused my suggestion of visiting the hospital before when I'd asked, since there was no medical staff here aware of his condition.

"The wound isn't reopened, just bruised," he said with a grimace, rubbing the spot gingerly. "And possibly a few cracked ribs. Everything else I can tend on my own. Thank you though."

While I knew I should leave and let him do what he needed and rest, I was dreading the thought of leaving him. It wasn't just because he was injured, but after the scare of almost losing him tonight, I almost couldn't bear to go away. Opening and closing my mouth several times, I never managed to find my voice to say the words I really wanted to. Even in my head they didn't sound right, and simply fell flat. After a moment I sighed and looked up again to see Yagi watching me patiently. Steeling myself, I stepped forward and raised up on the tips of my toes to press a gentle kiss to his cheek, almost at the corner of his mouth. "I'm glad you're okay," I said softly, hating that this was the best I could manage. I started to step away when the man's next words froze me in place.

"I thought you said you wouldn't miss."

Eyes wide, I met his gaze. His complexion had stayed rather pale since the fight, but just a hint of color had returned to his face. I swallowed, willing myself not to look away. "I thought you said I had to ask nicely," I breathed, heart hammering in my chest.

"I suppose I could make an exception, this time," he replied softly as his right hand came up to cradle the side of my face while his other fell on my waist, pulling me into him. When his lips met mine it was gentle - tender, even - and I melted into him as all the fear, and stress, and worry of the past few hours left my body. None of that mattered right now. The only thing that did was the man holding me, softly kissing away the thought of anything else.

My hands came up and tangled in his hair, and his fingers at my waist tightened as I brought him even closer. Yagi pulled back for a moment to lean his forehead against mine. I could feel his heart beating just as fast as my own where I was pressed against him, and I realized belatedly that the man was trembling ever so slightly.

"Mei," he whispered, and just hearing my given name breathed with such intensity only made me want to kiss him again.

So I did.

This kiss was hungrier, and I had to remind myself to be gentle with him in order not to hurt his injuries. The hand holding the side of my face slid into my hair, fingers tangling in the pinned-up locks and thumb pressed in the soft spot by my ear. The one at my waist snaked around to press in the small of my back, and I sighed into the kiss, offering him the chance to deepen it if he wished.

He did.

His mouth tasted of copper predominantly, which wasn't surprising given how often he spat up blood, but it also didn't bother me really. I was so entranced by him - so absorbed in the moment - that I wasn't actually sure how long we'd been like that when we finally pulled apart again, both gasping for breath.

"Stay with me tonight. Please," he murmured, and how could I possibly say no to that?

I chuckled as I ran a hand down his chest, feeling his heartbeat underneath. "I'm not sure you're all the way up for that, given your current injuries," I replied delicately.