Zombie Royal

I walked out of my apartment and over to Jane's. I knocked softly, knowing she was inside because I heard her heart beating from inside my apartment. The metal chain scraped the wall as she pulled open the door. Goliath was in her hand, hanging by her side.

"Alice, come in, are you OK? I heard you scream."

"I'm OK," I said and walked in. "I'm leaving, Jane, and wanted to say goodbye. You've been great to me, but just as my impending death moved me next to you, my new life is moving me away. I don't know where I'll end up, but it's something I've got to do. If you ever need me, just tell Chester, the violinist playing on Decatur Street, and he'll find me."

"Alice, I knew you were something special from the first moment I saw you. Our messed-up city needs you. So, go do whatever it is you're here to do and come back and see me when it's over."

Jane gave me a tender hug; she was crying freely. I kissed her on the forehead and looked into her eyes.

"Thank you, Jane, for never giving up on me."

"I'll miss you," she whispered.

I left her apartment and went down to Decatur Street. I walked toward Jackson Square, and as usual, Christina was singing. I found Chester with his regular red handkerchief on the ground covered with change about a block up from me.

He had on a lacy ruffled shirt today. I'm sure he saw me walking up the street, just like everyone else did. I looked out of place, with my red dress and funny eyes.

"My lady, what a welcomed surprise. You are looking very fashionable today." He said, greeting me.

"Sir Charles, you are far too kind, and I know this dress is a bit much, but what can a lady do when the music calls." Chester bowed.

"How are things, Chester?" I asked.

"I can only assume it was you're doing that put three heads and bodies on Jackson Square about ten days ago. One of which the head of Marcus."

I nodded and said, "He killed my cat." Chester sighed.

"I am sorry about your cat, but I do not miss Marcus. Now that he's dead, a new wolf pack will take over, so be aware, my dear. I wasn't able to see it in person, but the newspaper had a picture of someone looking exactly like you dragging a vampire down the street in broad daylight; it made quite a scene," Chester said.

"The vampires sent Marcus to take care of me after I walked the vampire into the light; when he came for me, he killed my cat. I needed to rest a few days after fighting him and the other two, but I'm better now."

"Great to hear, my lady. If you need anything, I am at your service."

"Play something uplifting, Chester; I need to clear my mind." Chester played a soothing melody from days long forgotten. I continued walking toward the cemetery where Buddy rested, just outside of Jackson Square.

At the cemetery, I found where my guardian had buried Buddy. I didn't want to make a scene but wanted to say goodbye. I loved him and wished he had lived a better life. I spent about half an hour with Buddy, then walked back to my favorite bench at Jackson Square.

Buddy was gone, and it was too dangerous for anyone to be around me, even Colt 45 Jane. I needed to find a new place to call home.

Jackson Square had a few wreaths and candles, making a small memorial in the middle for the three that Angel placed here. Even those that did evil had loved ones that never saw their darker side. I was sure Victoria would be leading the charge to take me out once this fight started, and I couldn't blame her. I killed for a cat; what would she do for her lover? It was going to get nasty and bloody very soon.