Chester

Jackson Square looked as if a flower shop had exploded. You would have thought a saint had died or the pope was ill. What looked like at least a twenty-foot-high tent was erected in the middle of the square. The tent housed every flower known to man. Funeral sympathy sprays, celebration of life bouquets, and potted plants littered the grounds.

Under the tent was a funeral alter adorned with a multitude of photos and keepsakes. I didn't know what to make of it all.

Jackson Square had become a memorial for those killed or lost in the fray last night. I wasn't sure, but it looked like humans and those that served or loved vampires were using the space. Photos of sculpted and perfect vampires sat alongside normal family vacation photos of humans.

Distracted by the flowers and memorabilia, I didn't notice the red handkerchief and violin case sitting on the ground next to the alter. Immediately my heart sank.

No! Not Chester. Chester can't be dead! My mind raced frantically; my emotions were building; I felt the coldness start to change the air around me. Blood began to well up in my eyes as I thought about Dominus's bounty on me and those that supported me. I was becoming unstable.

"My Lady, it is so good to see you here today. Christina and I have missed you very much."

I turned around and at once gave Chester a full-body hug. "Chester, I thought you were dead. I saw Christina's case and your red handkerchief and just knew something had happened."

"My dear, I am touched at your concern for me, but fear not, I simply had to go to the restroom and would not dare take Christina into such a place. I was in quite a hurry and didn't have her hidden very well," he answered.

Chester had been a blood servant for so long that he had no trouble with me being supernatural; it was like he expected to see something out of the ordinary around every corner. Angel took her hand and wiped away the bloody tear trail from my cheek.

"Chester, this is Angel," I said.

"My heavens, it is completely my pleasure to meet you, Miss Angel. Would you like for Christina to sing you something?" He said politely.

"Christina? I'm not sure who that is," Angel said.

"I do apologize; where are my manners." Chester opened Christina's case and pulled her free to rest on his shoulder. "This is Christina; she is passionate and one of a kind. There is simply nothing like her."

Angel smiled and said, "I would love to have her sing for me." Chester brought Christina to life, and immediately the air was full of the sounds of triumph and hopefulness. He played for about thirty minutes before taking a break. Once the music stopped and Christina was resting, he reached into the inside coat pocket for his flask.

The moment the cap broke open on the flask, Angel thought to me. "Blood?"

"Yes, Chester was a blood servant before I freed him. He must drink vampire blood every day or else weaken. He is much older than he looks." I thought back to her.

"I think I would like to have some too," she answered. I laughed and shook my head.

"Chester, I would like you to come to the blood bank apartments tonight before dark. The witches and I will be there, and I would feel much better if you were there also," I said.

"Of course, I am at your every command and will be there before the sun sets," he said as if answering royalty.

"Thank you, Sir Chester, until we meet again," I said, accentuating my rasp. He bowed as was our tradition. Angel and I left Chaster and headed toward the blood bank.