Christina

I knew for sure I wasn't a traditional vampire. I was something like them but different. There were no known female vampires, but my very uneducated guess was that I exhibited symptoms based on the dominant entity inside me until they worked out a type of synergy during the transformation.

I must have longed for blood when the vampire virus was dominant; then, as my cancer strengthened, the virus helped my body adjust and balance out. Whatever happed was significant because I was dead, then wasn't. I had no idea how my internal invaders worked out what happened, but I was thankful to be alive.

A distant and distinct thought registered inside my mind, "I'm thankful you are alive too." She answered in a silky voice distinctly different from my own. I wasn't dead, but if these voices kept speaking to me, I'd be insane by sunset.

I walked toward Jackson Square and heard Christina calling my name. Chester wasn't in sight, but my hearing picked up his sounds. I could tell she was on the other side of Jackson Square.

Chester and Christina were outside of Café Du Songe. Café Du Songe was a French bistro that had been around since the 1800s by one name or another and serviced a steady flow of vacationers trying out their authentic coffee and beignets.

I wasn't tempted by the aromas coming from the cafe, although they were delightful. Chester had his usual red handkerchief on the ground, collecting coins and playing an exciting piece of music where I imagined some commander rallied his troops, preparing for battle.

I didn't step directly into Chester's space; instead watched from across the road. The music ended, and his patrons disbanded while clapping loudly. I heard various clangs from coins deposited on the red cloth.

He didn't notice me. I was probably too far away, and since I wore my hoodie set, mostly unnoticeable. He placed Christina inside her case and gathered up some coins in a cloth bag.

I was waiting for Chester's break to officially start, signified by the tell-tell swig from the flask inside his coat pocket. Right on cue, Chester took out the container and untwisted the cap.

When he opened it, I smelled something strange and welcoming. The scent was tangy and reminded me of Jane's apartment, but different. It was blood, but I didn't think it was human blood. I had heard of drug enthusiasts mixing vampire blood with liquor; taking the two together created some kind of high, but it was dangerous.

My mind went to the worst possible thought. Was my friend Chester addicted to vampire blood? He must be in trouble because there was no way he could afford that blood drink with change collected here. Not that I knew how much vamp blood alcohol costs or where to get it, but you weren't picking up a case at the liquor store for a small bag of dimes and nickles.

After smelling what I thought was vamp blood, I could quickly pinpoint it. As I walked across the street toward Chester, the smell became almost overpowering.

Once across the street, I found a place to sit and sat with my back against the outside wall of Café Du Songe. I sat with my head faced down so Chester couldn't see my amber eyes. I spoke and realized that my voice was slightly different. It sounded like I had another accent mixed in. I said, "Chester, what-cha been up to, sweetie?"

"Madam Alice, what a wonderful surprise. May I humbly take your request?"

"It's been a day Chester, how about a drink from that flask?" I said.

Chester seemed to falter slightly but recovered. "I'm afraid my particular brand of wine isn't suited for you, and I would not dare let you drink something so far beneath a lady as yourself." He picked up Christina readying himself to play.