2. The Will to Fight

~10 years later ~

Over the years, Raya grew up well with her adoptive parents, but not everyone in the village gets along with her. They have hear rumors that a powerful sorceress gave away her baby after Shang Tsung's, a powerful sorcerer who serves Outworld's emperor, Shao Kahn, attempt to steal her soul. Not knowing where the baby may have ended up to, they assume Raya could be that child since Ni family took in a baby that came out of no where. But a young boy from the Shirai Ryu compound, Hanzo Hasashi was kind enough to hang out and be her best friend.

At the Shirai Ryu Courtyard, Raya and Hanzo were playing each other with kendo sticks, striking their sticks against each other until his father appeared.

"Raya, do you mind if I can have a word with my son real quick?" Master Hasashi asked, walking towards the kids.

"Sure, Master Hasashi," Raya answered as she bowed to his father. Hanzo and his father took off as she continued to strike the dummy with the kendo stick.

~Hanzo's POV ~

Both him and his father walked inside to the the throne room of the compound, with a few ninjas guarding the hallways.

"Leave us," Master Hasashi ordered, turning to his son's side. As the ninjas left, the room was all silenced until Hanzo felt the tension of what is to come from his father's words.

"Hanzo, what did I tell you about learning combat?" Master Hasashi asked.

"No combat until I'm older. But father-" Hanzo answered.

"I don't want to hear it. We talked about this," Master Hasashi scolded.

"I know father, but what am I going to do if something happens to me?" Hanzo asked his father.

"Hanzo! Listen to me!" Master Hasashi yelled. Hanzo stood there, keeping his head up while maintaining his patience of arguing with his father.

"I can't afford to lose you too. After what happened with your mother, I would never let anything happen to you. If it ever came down to you, I would do everything in my power to make sure that my family is safe. Even if I would sacrifice my life," Master Hasashi confided. Hanzo lifted his head down to show that he still miss his mother after learning that her mother died fighting along side him in battle against one of Shao Kahn's guards.

"I also miss mother too, father. But what's going to happen if I need to defend my family? How could I protect the people I care about if I don't know how to fight?" Hanzo asked, looking at his father in the eye with pride.

"Son, I don't want to have this conversation again, but know that it is for a good reason for not having to fight and that is to protect and keep you safe," Master Hasashi demanded. Hanzo wanted to elaborate on his reason, but his father cutted him off, "You may go now."

Hanzo bowed to his father, showing him his respect before leaving the throne room to head back to the courtyard. Hanzo walked towards the halls with face with disappointment and created a fist as he made his way to the courtyard.

~ Raya's POV

Raya kept striking at the dummy even though her face was filled with sweat until she saw Hanzo come back. After seeing him approaching, she put the kendo stick back at the stack of the dummy and sat down to ground at the nearest pole with Hanzo.