15|Elsewhere

The complex was filled from the moment they opened. Though the previous two days had seen a slight decrease from the day one attendance, more citizens had now come to watch the top ten battle it out. The track featured two giant portals over sections of the track. One was an entryway, not far from the start. The other was an exit, a small distance from the finish line. There were narrow tracks around these that allowed the racers to subvert them, if they were quick enough. The sight of the portals was not a welcome one to Bix. Solise was more confused by them, than anything.

"What do you think those are?" She asked, as her bike rose to the surface.

"No clue. Looks like you have a way around them. I'd take it instead of risking...whatever they are." Bix replied, over the radio.

Solise examined the two portals. "Looks like some kind of shortcut."

"Even with that mask on, I can see the face you're making. Please don't. Play this safe. We still don't know what we're up against." Bix said, with honest concern.

"As you wish." Solise replied, with no affectation.

The words had tumbled out as a kind of automated response, rather than something she consciously did. I thought the goal is to win. I'm still in this to survive the cold season, Bix. She was still very tired and on the verge of irritable. This was from her troubled sleep the night prior. The nightmares of pale figures and flames lingered in her brain, all the way to the complex. She looked back to the Inquirer's craft. For once, he was not looking back at her. That's a welcomed change. Her attention was then grabbed by Gurd's massive hologram. Or rather, the lack of it. The projectors were running but there was nothing there.

After a moment, he stumbled into place. Solise could tell that he was extremely hungover. He looked as though he had woken up moments before he appeared. His robes were disheveled and the boney protrusions on his head were in a messier placement than normal. I didn't know that moved. Is that hair? She wondered, as Gurd started to wake up and get energized. She had never met a Gurdish...and she still hadn't. Her knowledge of their physiology was non-existent.

"Hello Xerians! Here we are with the best of the best! These are the top ten racers in the galaxy! After these next three days, one will be crowned champion!" Gurd roared. The crowd cheered, in response. "Today, we will see our brave contestants fight their way through three unique tracks. No more eliminations, just the most talented speedsters battling it out to see who takes home the gold. I see no reason to keep you waiting any longer. Let's do this!"

Then, the hologram was gone and the countdown was up. Solise shot forward the very second it ended. She was instantly on Galene's tail. He attempted to shake her but found no luck. A snag did not present itself until she reached the giant portals. She could hear a loud buzz over the roar of the engines. A small line of purple light was around the edge of the massive circle. Whatever that is, it's booting up. She thought, as she quickly re-routed.

The second she moved away from the portal, she could hear the buzz die down. It was as if it were waiting for her and ceased to function when she passed it. Her thoughts didn't linger on this for too long. The high-speed action that was in front of her required all her mental effort. The other combatants had grown far more vicious. Though there were fewer people on the track than ever, Solise was forced to dodge more than usual.

Huzmul had attempted to sideswipe her. When he attempted to do it again, she sped ahead. This forced him to quickly slow, in order to avoid slamming into Galene. She swerved away from the confusion and caught up with Meg. They rode next to each other, without either trying to take the lead. As they passed under the second arch, Solise noticed that it did not have the glow about it that the other one did. Definitely an exit. It didn't light up because the other one didn't open. It must be a shortcut.