Bᴇsᴛғʀɪᴇɴᴅs Tᴏ Lᴏᴠᴇʀs

Maya was over the moon today

Maya was over the moon today. Finally after three long years her bestfriend was back in town and was coming to meet her today. They have been friends since they first saw eachother in kindergarten. They went to school together and the original plan was to go to college together as well. But things changed when he got accepted in NYU and decided to complete his education there.

And now he was back and Maya was all ready to confess her feelings today. She had grown a tiny crush on her bestfriend. It was not sudden infact she had a crush on him since they were in class 10th but never confessed thinking it might effect their studies as well as their friendship. Although she never missed a chance to indirectly tell him that she is badly crushing on him. Now there was nothing that was holding her back from confessing.

The first year after he went to New York his calls and messages were regular but as the months passed it become frequent and at one point it completely stopped. Few day back he called her to inform that he was coming back and will be coming to meet her.

Brushing her hair once again she checked her appearance in the mirror one more time to make sure she looked presentable. Dusting the invisible dust from her maroon cardigan she sighed. It was his favourite colour. She softly traced the pendent that was locked around her neck. The token of their friendship.

"Ho gai taiyar?" Her mother asked smiling at her. She blushed.

Last year around this time of the year she accidentally confessed her feelings for him to her mother. She expected her to be mad but Mrs. Sangita, Maya's mother was very happy.

"Bahot sundar lag rahi ho" her mother cupped her cheeks and pecked her forehead and in return Maya gave her a tight hug.

"Thanks maa! I hope he thinks the same"she said.

"Don't worry he will also think the same" Mrs. Sangita assured her.

The door bell rang and Maya quickly rushed towards the gate to open it. Mrs. Sangita smiled at her daughter's antics and clutched the shawl closer to her body. It was a snowy day in Dehradun.

Maya opened the gate with a heart warming smile to see her bestfriend standing there in all his glory. He was 6 feet tall and had a five o clock shadow on his face. He smiled seeing Maya at the door but Maya's smile died when she saw a girl of her age standing beside him with their fingers laced.

Agastya took a step forward and hugged Maya. She could feel the owls in her stomach rapidly flapping their wings. She hugged him back and her her nostrils were filled with his musky colonge.

"How are you?" He whispered in her ears sending shiver down her spin. Oh! how much she missed this voice.

"Good. You?" She asked but it came out as a whisper.

"Amazing. And I have a surprise for you" he pulled her cheeks. Something which he used to do.

"Agastya?" Mrs. Sangita came out of the room. He walked towards her and took her blessings.

"Naina come meet Sangita aunty" Agastya said to the girl who was standing at the doorstep.

She walked past Maya and stood next to Agastya. They exchanged pleasantries and Maya just stood at her spot watching them. She closed the door behind her and walked towards them.

"You children have a seat I will bring something to eat for you all" Mrs. Sangita said and went in the kitchen.

Agastya who was familiar with the surrounding made himself home on the couch and made Naina sit beside her. Maya wanted to sit next to him but settled on the one right infront of him.

"I forgot to introduce you both. Naina this is Maya my bestfriend and Maya this is Naina my friend from New York" both the girls have eachother a smile.

"So, are you going back or staying here in Dehradun only?" Maya asked to Agastya.

"I will be staying here. Do you think that my parents will let me go now? Anyways I am planning to join dad's business but before that I am planning to get married" Agastya said and looked at the girl sitting next to her who blushed at his statement.

Maya could feel her heart sinking but she pushed back this feeling and smiled. "You said you have a surprise for me. What is it?"

"Oh yeah! Me and Naina, we are getting married next month" Agastya interwined his fingers with Naina and kissed her temple.

Maya felt her world falling apart. The only person she have ever loved, loves someone else. Tears started filling her eyes her throat felt heavy but all she did was smile. She smiled pretending to be happy.

"W-wow that's umm... that's great" she smiled.

She was broken. What broke her more that Agastya never bothered to tell her that he was dating someone. He didn't find it important to tell his bestfriend that he had found a wife for himself.

Mrs. Sangita came with four cups of hot coffee along with some snacks and sat beside her daughter.

"You have to come Maya. All the functions will be incomplete without you" Agastya picked up a cup and gave it to Naina.

"What functions?" Mrs. Sangita asked.

"Our wedding functions. We are getting married next month" Naina spoke for the first time.

Mrs. Sangita stiffened. She could feel her daughter's her crying and screaming.

"Congratulations!" Mrs. Sangita said.

"Agastya I don't think I will be able to attend your wedding" Maya said sipping her coffee.

"Why? You are my bestfriend. You are the most important guest" Agastya whined.

Yeah! Bestfriend whom you never told about your girlfriend.

Maya scoffed. "Well I got a job offer from one of the companies in Mumbai. The package is really good so I accepted the job. They want me to join next month. So, me and maa will be shifting to Mumbai by the end of this month. And it won't be appropriate to take leave as soon as I join" she reasoned.

She wasn't lying. She did get a job in Mumbai but she haven't accepted it till now. But now she will.

"Can you postpone your leave? I need you here" Agastya asked.

"I don't think so. There is a lot of things to take care off and you have Naina to support you, right?" Both Agastya and Naina nodded.

The conversation went on for few more hours before Agastya and Naina decided to take their leave. As soon as they were out of the house tears started streaming down Maya's eyes like a waterfall. She fell on the ground and cried.

"Cry all you want Maya but after today you are not going to cry over Agastya" her mother said and hugged her.

Hi everyone! So this is my first attempt at writing. Please support me.

Feel free to point out the mistakes but don't be harsh.