Chapter 23

"There's a bus!" I yelled out to the group. They began to look around for the vehicle in question. I have no idea who's behind the wheel but they could be our only hope. Axel jerked his head to look behind when he took notice as well. "Flag them down!" I yelled out to the group. Of course Axel was reluctant but he knew very well that if we stayed on this road we were as good as dead. Risking everything our group began back tracking in the road and started to wave down the bus. "Hey stop!!" I yelled as I waved my arms. Baylor held out Asher in her arms who was wailing from being in the cold rain. She held him forward to draw sympathy from the bus driver. "Please stop!!" She cried as she rushed further down the road towards the bus. "Help us!" Landon yelled at the bus that was nearly upon us. Axel suddenly ran into the middle of the road. "What are you doing?" I screamed. "They're gonna hit us!" I cried out. "We're dead either way," he said before waving his arms at the bus. He was right.

  With tears in my eyes I too began to aggressively wave down the bus accepting this fate. Baylor and Landon joined us in the center of the road doing the same. We were all yelling at the bus driver to stop trying to ignore our impending fate. Zombies inched dangerously close. The bus was nearly upon us when I hopped up on Axel's shoulders and took Asher into my arms and began crying along with him as I took one last attempt to get them to stop holding the sweet baby boy above me to show them just what they'd be doing if they ran us all down. I squeezed my eyes shut seeing the bus was going way to fast to have the intention of stopping. They were gonna run us down.

Zombies were everywhere they were almost close enough to take a bite out of us. At least we'd be dead before they did. I pulled Asher to my chest with one arm and lowered my other hand to Axel's upper chest as a silent thank you for all he has done to get us this far. Surprisingly his hand covered mine as if accepting my silent thank you. We were ready. I finally accepted my fate as the bus was only a few feet from us. This is it.

As if the hand of God himself reached down and created a miracle the screech of the bus's breaks sounded out among the groans and snarls of the undead. "They're stopping," Baylor cried with a smile. "We need to move!" Axel yelled seeing the bus was going far to fast to be able to stop in time. He made a move to get out of the way nearly knocking me off of his shoulders. The bus nearly smashed into Landon as he was the last to get out of the way. The bus stopped completely a few feet away from us and we wasted no time in running up to the door that screeched open. Baylor was the first to get in, and then Landon, and finally Axle put me down to help me inside. "Hurry!" Came the gruff voice of a man sitting in the drivers seat. I held Asher in my arms as Axel lifted me up the steps and then nearly ran into me as he squeezed himself in as the door closed and the bus roared back to life slamming forward nearly knocking us off our feet. It was just in time as the zombies were beginning to be able to bang on the windows. Axle caught me in his arms and guided me to a seat in the front sitting beside me with his back to me, and his body facing the aisle almost protectively as he analyzed the bus. "Thank you so much for stopping," Baylor said as she tried to catch her breath. "Your nurse bought your seats. If she proves useful you can stay. Don't thank me yet," he said rudely. Just wait till he finds out that I'm merely a nurse in training. So he would've ran us down if it wasn't of my scrubs? How does he know I didn't just put these on for lack of other clothing? This guy already doesn't seem trustworthy. I peeked up over the seat to see only a few people scattered around the bus. They were all quiet and looked very unkept. The bus was completely quiet aside from Asher's cries. I tried to quiet Asher, but he was soaking wet and probably miserable. "I need to get him something dry," I said to Axel as he gave me a look that basically told me to shut him up. "Everything we have is soaked," he said to which I sighed as I began to relive him if his wet clothing which consisted of an old t-shirt wrapped strategically around him to keep him warm . "Landon hand me a diaper," I whispered to him. He had managed to lug all the bags all this way thankfully. I managed to change his diaper on my lap and then held him to my chest hoping he could gain some warmth from me. Axel suddenly sat back in his seat resting his back against it. I guess he didn't sense any current threats. "We need to get out of here," he whispered to me. "He saved our lives," I whispered back. "Something is off about these people." He said as he got up to go sit next to his brother. I sighed as he took the warmth he radiated with him. Asher soon calmed down and I did a little as well.

  Baylor came to sit beside me. She suddenly wrapped her arms around me pulling me in for a hug. "I thought we were dead," she said quietly. "According to Axel we still might not be in the clear," I said to her. "Well for now we're safe from the real threat," she muttered. "Maybe not," I said as I looked out the window seeing more and more zombies coming out of the woods. A town suddenly began to come into view ahead of us. Everything from the bodies pulled apart in pieces on the sides of the road to the blood soaked pavement made my insides erupt into a frantic state of worry for my life and the lives of my companions. The bodies were organized in almost an methodical pattern that I knew could only be manmade. That's when I finally vocalized my thoughts."Maybe the zombies aren't our biggest worry."