𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟎𝟏 { Clean Slate }

Começar do início

And these are just a couple out of thousands. I debated turning off my comments but that just means their comments have gotten to me and I don't want to give them that satisfaction.

This last one particularly bothered me the most though because even though I was mixed, my appearance was solely judged because I did not "look" completely white or black. It's something that has affected me my whole childhood growing up and the comments still hurt like a fresh wound.

At the early age of sixteen my modeling career took off and the media drowned me. I quickly became the "popular" girl in school and strangers came up to me with either the nicest compliment or the meanest stare. Teachers gave me weird looks, guessing after seeing me model a swim suit collection. But despite all that, social media was the cancer of it all.

Thousands of people sat behind a screen to tell me what I was doing wrong. The attention got so bad that I wanted to be homeschooled but there was no way my best friend Victoria was going to let that happen.

As soon as I walked down the stairs of my house and made my way into the kitchen, my dad could tell something was off. He hated the way I got treated online but rarely lost his temper about it. Some mojo about maintaining your peace and mental health.

"Good morning sunshine, I made your favorite." Dad smiled warmly as he put two chocolate chip pancakes on my plate.

Dad always called me sunshine to counter whenever people referred to me as Ms.Winters. I wasn't a fan of being called Winters instead of Sage, so it was his way of brightening my day.

"Thanks, dad." I said with a small smile, taking a seat at the island in our kitchen. I took a bite out of the warm pancakes as I hummed in delight. I really should be eating an apple instead, an annoying thought that frequently crossed my mind, due to Kelsey.

Screw it, it's the last day of high school.

A loud thud fills the quiet room as I hear a tiny grunt follow soon after. Niko, my six year old brother comes sprinting into the kitchen with his signature Spider-man cape strapped to his back. The cloth trails down past his feet as he stumbles into the room.

"Hey, squirt be careful." I say before picking him up and setting him down on the barstool in front of the kitchen island where his breakfast was laid out.

"Daaaad, tell Sagie to stop calling me that, she knows I hate it!" He whines dramatically in return.

Of course, dad just laughs and asks me where Victoria was because we're going to be late for our last day of school.

Like being late was even a thing anymore.

After I cut up Nikos pancake into fours, the sound of a car honking startled us all. I look through the kitchen window to see Vic in her brand-new black BMW, bought by her parents as a sorry gift for never being around. Here I was too afraid to get my license.

"Don't say a word," she groans while clutching her forehead. Large sunglasses covered half her face, while a a green nasty looking smoothie sat in her cup holder.

The usual music filled car was silent. Dead, almost.

"I told you not to get drunk at Jett's backyard bash, Vic." I laugh, while buckling my seatbelt.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't remind me." She says pulling off onto the empty road.

Looking back, I see dad at the mailbox opening a letter with a weird expression written all over his face before he rubs his bald head and walks back in.

What was that about? I'll be sure to ask him later, I thought.

As the warm summer breeze slapped my face all I could think about was college.