Beth, Kate, Leny

Back to volunteer work, I guess.

It's not that I don't like volunteering at the hospital, I love it. It's just that I've been waiting for years now to be a doctor and all I wanted was to be in that white lab coat. Not to keep seeing them as a patient.

I was getting ready for my shift when I felt someone tap my shoulder. I turned around and it was a girl with short black hair who couldn't have looked much older than eleven or twelve.

Two other girls were behind her, one with long auburn hair like mine, and a girl with bronze skin, striking green eyes, and light brown hair.

"We're lost." the black haired girl said. I giggled and said, "Oh? Where are you girls supposed to be?"

The black haired girl cleared her throat. "First, I think we need to get some introductions out of the way first. My name is Beth, I have kidney disease. The auburn haired girl over there is Kate, I have no idea what's she's doing here but she joined our group after she moved here from France. And the really, really pretty one is Leny, she has cystic fibrosis. What's your name?"

I smiled at the girls and said, "I'm Catlynn. Catlynn McLemore. I'm in medical school right now, training to become a doctor. And I've been volunteering here since...since I was eighteen years old. I'm twenty now." I looked down at my engagement ring, wondering if I should mention that. They'll notice it soon enough, right?

"Wait...McLemore?" Beth asked. "As in..."

"Yep!" I said cheerfully, realizing this girl was twelve and probably wouldn't be like Violet Gardner. "I was adopted by Elle about...oh my God, almost ten years ago."

Beth and Kate giggled. Leny just stayed silent.

"Can you join our group, Catlynn?" Beth asked. "We're chaotic theater kids and we could use some adult supervision."

I giggled and said, "As much as I'd love to, you guys do realize I work here, right?"

"True. But you can still find time to hang out with us, right? We're mostly here every single day, and when we're not, we're at school!" Beth said.

"What school do you go to? Is it around here?" I asked. Knowing the age of these kids, I wouldn't be surprised if they all went to Hamilton Middle School, the school I went to and absolutely hated with all my being.

"Hamilton." all three girls said at the same time. Kate groaned and Beth started cackling.

A nurse poked her head down the hall and said, "Bethany? Katherine? Eileen?" Beth, Kate, and Leny started giggling and the nurse said, "Oh, hello Catlynn. Girls, I need you back."

Beth, Kate, and Leny groaned and followed the nurse. And then I noticed Beth's shirt.

"You a dancer?" I asked Beth. Beth squealed and said, "Yeah! I do ballet, lyrical, and tap! I have been for...almost two years now."

"I used to be a ballet dancer. I wish I could still do it, but...my legs are already pretty messed up." I said, not wanting to go into detail.

"Oh." Beth said. "Well, it was nice to meet you! See you around!"

The girls skipped off and I grabbed my phone to call Elle, letting her know that my shift was done. Despite me doing no actual work the entire day.

Those girls seemed interesting...

AN: Take a chapter brought to you by Emmy Having No Ideas But Wanting To Update! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!