Prologue

Late October 1995

Maureen Prescott was found raped and murdered in her own home earlier tonight by her sixteen-year-old daughter Sidney Prescott.

I stopped in my tracks as I was walking down the stairs. I looked into the living room to see my mother sitting on the sofa and my father standing behind her. There was a picture of one of my friends, Sidney's mother on the screen as Gale Weathers stood outside the Prescott's home. My dad turned around after hearing me gasp. "Y/N," he whispered which prompted my mom to turn around. "Oh, sweetheart," she said and rushed over to me and wrapped her arms around me in a hug. A minute later my brother, Stu, and his best friend Billy walked in the door. They both stood talking when they saw my mother cradling me. "What's going on?" Stu asked.

"Maureen Prescott was found murdered," our dad told him. "Sidney found her, Billy, you should probably go to her," I said pulling away from my mom. He looked at me and then nodded his head and left. I had always had a crush on Billy but he was my twin brother's best friend so I never said anything not wanting to put any strain on their friendship or a strain on my relationship with Stu.

November 1995 a month after the murder

It's been a rough month for Sidney having found her mother. She identified Cotton Weary as the one who killed her mother. His jacket was left behind and his DNA matched the samples taken. Sidney pulled away from everyone. She talked to Tatum and I, mostly Tatum but was pulling away from Billy. He didn't seem to tear up about it though. Their relationship was anything but normal. They fought all the time always arguing about something. She would complain to me and Tatum about how Billy wanted to have sex but she wasn't ready. We were only in our junior year of high school and she was sixteen so was Tatum. Then I was a year older along with Stu, Billy, and Randy. Sidney having been traumatized after her mother's death broke it off with Billy. She told me and Tatum it was for the best and they didn't work together anyway. It wasn't a big loss for her.

Sidney and I weren't really that close. She and Tatum were closer. Tatum and I were close friends too, closer than Sidney and I. Casey Becker was my best friend and Stu's girlfriend. I didn't mind that they dated but I wasn't thrilled either. I knew how Casey was when It came to guys. Plus I saw the way Tatum looked at my brother every time she came over to our house. Casey knew I like Billy, it was hard to hide when she was over and so was he. Casey would tease me about it. She always says he likes me too but I never believe her because why would he? He has Sid and I'm his best friend's sister.

February 1996

I was in my room listening to music and talking to Casey who was sitting on the beanbag chair in the corner while I was on my bed upside down flipping through a magazine. Casey had the new issue of Seventeen Magazine featuring Jeremy London on the cover. She wants to do the quiz it was called "is he using you". "Come on. It'll be fun," she said. "Fun? Cas, I don't have a boyfriend," I told her. "No, but there is Billy. You guys seem to have gotten closer," she said smirking. "Oh, my god! No! Come on, Casey, he doesn't like me like that, and he and Sid just broke up," I said. "Yeah, like 3 months ago," she said flipping through the magazine.

Not long after that day maybe a week later she and Stu broke up and she started dating Steve Orth. Steve was on the football team and he was an immature asshole in my opinion. But Stu didn't seem bothered by it for long because he ended up asking Tatum out. "What is with you and dating my friends?" I asked him one night as we sat in the living room watching movies. "What with you liking Billy?" He shot back with uncontrolled laughter when he saw my face. "What? I don't like Billy," I said. "Oh, come on. I see the way you look at him, it's the same way he looks at you," he said. "What?" I asked choking on a piece of popcorn. Stu just ended up laughing even harder. "You're such an ass!" I said and got him with a pillow.

June 1996

It was summer and we were finally out of school. Tatum and I were out back lounging by the pool. Since Casey and Stu broke up she doesn't come over anymore and mostly hangs out with Steve. If we do hang out I got over to her place. "Cannon Ball!" Stu yelled running and jumping into the deep end of the pool. Both Tatum and I squealed. "Stu!" We yelled. "What? Did you get wet?" He asked as he got out of the pool and stalked towards Tatum who stood up quickly and ran. Stu ran after her picking her up and throwing her in the pool and jumped in after her. "Stu, you ass!" She laughed splashing him with water.

"You don't think you're getting off the hook do you?" I heard someone whisper in my ear. I looked to my side to see Billy there smirking at me. When did he get there? I stood up and backed away from him. "Don't you dare!" I said pointing a finger at him. He jumped forward just enough to make me let out a small scream before running. He ended up catching me and throwing me over his shoulder and jumped in the pool. When he surfaced I splashed water in his face. "Jerk!" I said and jumped at him trying to push him under the water. Of course, he's much strong than me and just ended up picking me up throwing me.

Later that night I had just gotten out of the shower when there was a knock on my door. "It's unlocked!" I yelled from my bathroom. I heard the door open and shut. "You finally done doing gross stuff to my brother that I don't want to know about?" I asked from the bathroom as I towel dried my hair. But I didn't get an answer "Tatum?" I called. "Not Tatum," I jumped and stood straight up. "Billy!" I said my hands flying to hold the towel that was wrapped around me tighter to my body. "What--what you doing?" I asked. "You told me I could come in. Plus Stu and Tatum are in his room," he said smirking and taking his eyes down over my towel-covered body.

"Oh. Um... okay. Well, let me get dressed and we can hang out," I said and walked past him. I felt him grab my wrist and turn me around. "What would you do if I kissed you instead?" He whispered looking down at me. "Billy, I--I" I started to stutter out but Billy cut me off by ghosting his lips over mine. After that night we started dating. Stu had given give him the okay to ask me out. The hard part was going to be when we went back to school. Tatum said she wasn't going to tell Sidney and that she knew me and Billy liked each other and she was happy for us.