Part 14: First (Real) Mission

"Kambe. Why?"

Izuku stared at the file in front of him incredulously.

Kambe had just appeared while he'd been busy sorting through old case files and had given him this one, saying he was allowed to join them on an investigation.

A real active investigation.

Kambe smiled cheekily. "Because you're smart and we need your help."

"Did you bribe the chief to let me join?" Izuku asked incredulously.

A smirk spread over Kambe's face.

Izuku sighs and rubs his forehead. "I... I just..."

"Come on." Kambe hummed.

"I'm torn between 'I hate you' and 'thank you'." Izuku sighed as he stood up to follow him.

"Just choose both." Kambe hummed, sounding pleased with himself.

Izuku rolled his eyes.

He turned away from Kambe and to Kato, who was standing next to the other officer.

"Were you in on this?" Izuku held up the file at Kato.

Kato shrugged. "Couldn't stop him." Didn't want to, was unsaid.

Izuku rolled his eyes.

He opened the file again, this time to read its contents instead of just skimming through it.

It was an investigation file that was linked to kidnapping, quirk trafficking and child porn. It had started with a suspicious activity in the area, sightings of children being taken there and rarely coming out, a high traffic of known sex offenders. There was a tip that an apartment building was being used as a brothel, it included children.

Now that they had a lead, all they had to do was gain evidence to stop this crime.

Izuku clenched his jaw minutely. Cases like these made his blood boil and stomach churn with disgust.

Kambe shifted a bit to see his expression better.

"So... are you helping?"

Izuku sighed and nodded. "Yes."

"Awesome."

"So who's in charge?" Izuku asked. He needed to know who he had to talk to when they'd plan. He might not be involved much but at least he could try to make them see reason despite him being quirkless.

"... You." Kambe replied.

Izuku stared at him wide eyed. "I'm sorry what?"

"You have experience and skill." Kato explained. "You're smart and I'm sure you can handle leading this investigation."

Kambe nodded in agreement.

"I-. You're trusting me with leading this?" Izuku asked incredulously.

Kambe and Kato nodded.

Izuku gaped at them and sputtered, trying to rationalize their choice.

They stayed stubborn and just looked at him.

"I-. I'm quirkless."

"We don't give a fuck about that."

Izuku stared at Kato in shock.

Kato just shrugged. "It's true. And from what I've seen, you're capable. Much more capable to handle this than the others."

"I... okay." Izuku relented. "Let's go somewhere private to plan."