Rise

Caroline felt herself rise through layers of cloud higher and higher as even the cloud layer retreated far below her. She struggled for control, but she was falling in reverse, powerless against the pull.

She felt the gem in her chest split and surround her, turning her into Crystal.

The sky turned black as she effortlessly exited the atmosphere and fell through space, speeding through miles faster than she could blink, until she could see nothing.

Then suddenly she was orbiting around a giant asteroid that shone in rainbows of shining color like a gem.

Somehow she knew the asteroid was invisible. She could feel the tug of its mindless power, seeking, blindly questing out for anything with the sentience it lacked.

This piece- Blue Crystal- was an important part of the asteroid. The asteroid felt the faint spark of an awareness in that crystal.

But it was asleep.

Caroline snapped awake, extremely disoriented because she expected to find herself floating in the middle of space.

Was that just a dream?

"Such... such a strange dream." she said as she got dressed for work, the ordinary air of her house seeming unfamiliar and foreign.

She was spending too much time as Crystal. And having too many strange dreams.

"Well, what can you do. When you have the power to save the world, you have to use it." she said.