Chapter 36

To 

"You should go home, Harry," Claire said. "You must be exhausted. You've been here longer than any of us – you need to get some sleep."

I shook my head, both to dispute her claim and to wake myself up. After digging into pizza in the waiting room, I'd sunk into my seat on the couch and couldn't stop my eyelids from drooping even as activity and conversation happened around me.

"I'm all right to stay here," I insisted. "Brum's too far away, and I want to be nearby in case anything... for when she wakes up."

"I meant home, home," Claire specified with a calm smile. "In Cheshire. I know you've still got a bed at your dad's and Misty's – might as well use it."

I opened my mouth to protest, but she interrupted.

"I've got my mobile. If anything happens, I promise you'll be the first one I call."

"You really should get away from this place for a bit, mate," Lou chipped in. "Clear your head and all. You'll feel better for it."

"All right. Okay," I agreed, knowing I'd been backed into a corner.

"We've gotta head home, too," Louis added, crumpling the napkin in his hand and shooting for the rubbish bin. "We're coming back tomorrow to spend Christmas Eve at my place and then Christmas at Jo's, but we left in a rush today and didn't get time to pack."

Following his lead, Niall and Finley stood up, donning their jackets. I rose from my seat as well, offering my hand to Louis to shake.

"Happy early birthday, then," I said.

A grin spread slowly across his face. "Aw, Haz. You remembered."

I smiled in return. "Sort of hard to forget when you're hogging a major holiday."

"More like the holiday's hogging my birthday. Everybody wants a piece."

"Got you something," I said, fishing around in my pocket until I found it: a little striped lolly that I'd picked out in the cafeteria. I placed it in his outstretched palm, remarking, "Used to love 'em when I was your age. Your mental age, I mean."

Lou chuckled, nodding to himself at the jab. "I'll treasure your strangely warm pocket lolly for at least the next ten minutes." His smile faded, and he cleared his throat. "Well, take care of yourself."

"Yeah."

"Ring if you need anything."

"I'll be fine."

"If you're still here tomorrow afternoon, we'll stop by on our way to my mum's." He glanced at Josie for assurance, and she nodded to confirm.

Niall and Finley approached, and Niall patted my shoulder while Finley gave me a hug.

"We'll see you, bunny," Niall said, affectionately ruffling my hair.

While the four of them said their goodbyes to Claire and Muffy's parents, I turned to look at Fitz, who sat on the arm of the couch making no move to leave.

"Go with them," I urged gently.

She shook her head.

I stepped toward her, bending my head to look down and murmuring so the others couldn't hear. "You just got off a plane and you probably just want to be home. You were supposed to be in Derby tonight, anyway. I know you want to see your family."

She gave me a look, tilting her head. Quiet as me, she replied, "I want to be wherever you are, and you need to be here. Besides, I've got a trunk full of things in Claire's car. I can stay the night."