Chapter 30

White

I woke up the next morning to a response.

My thumbs flew over the screen of my mobile, fumbling to turn off my alarm and press the correct buttons to view the message.

He told me a bit about it. You really didn't have to stick your neck out for him, Harry... but I'm glad you did.

There was another.

And I'm well. It's quite warm here, which I never thought would bother me but it does. Been sunburned 3 times. How are you??

I sat up straight in bed, rubbing my eyes to wake myself up as the bed sheets fell to my waist. She'd asked an open-ended question. I could respond and start a dialogue. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to do it at 7 in the morning, but I couldn't help myself.

Good. Helping Niall with set construction on weekends so woke up achey and hating him this morning. Also brum is rainy and cold almost every day.

I was just about to get out of bed and hop in the shower when my mobile vibrated. I made an embarrassingly desperate grab for it as I fell back onto the bed.

Haha, all sounds "good" like you said. I keep forgetting the time difference. You must be just waking up.

Yep. What time is it for you?

11 p.m. on Sunday :)

Lucky woman. You get to go to bed. I have work. :( :( :(

I have work tomorrow, if that makes you feel better.

Slightly. How is work going? What are you doing?

In a series of texts that I received one after another, mobile constantly buzzing, she explained to me that she was learning to write proposals and release statements and coordinate employee events. After a summary of her basic duties and information about the organization, she summed it up by typing:

Essentially, it's a lot of bitch work. Getting coffees and photocopying. Fairly certain the boss thinks I'm too stupid to realise it's bitch work.

I smiled to myself, dragging a hand through my hair as I prepared to respond. I didn't get the chance – my mobile vibrated again. And again. And again. Her internship was only half of the story – on the side, she was growing increasingly interested in a local official's campaign and was making connections with those involved to potentially get involved herself.

Americans are very forward. Throws me off.

Sounds sexy.

It's rather confusing, actually.

Fitz, confused by another?! I'm scared.

You expect certain subtleties from people. Not to be given everything from the start.

Then they go and tell you exactly what they mean and expect the same from you in return. It makes sense in theory, but in reality, it's mental.

Sounds like that would be especially difficult for YOU.

Are you teasing me?

Very much so.

: |

Another smile crossed my lips, lazy yet satisfied.

Well. What have you been up to recently?

The usual. Ribbon cutting ceremonies, golfing with the queen, kissing babies. That sort of thing.

Idiot.