Chapter 14--Verdict... or Not

"So what you gonna do?" Lori asked Rick as she poured some water into a cup and put the pitcher back over the fire. She, Carol, Glenn, Carl, Andrea, and Darcy all stood around the fire too, listening in. Rick stood tensely next to Shane. "We'd all feel better if we knew the plan."

"Is there a plan?" Andrea cut in.

"We gonna keep him here?" Glenn questioned. Shane switched the weight on his feet and Rick paid him a small glance before looking back to the group.

"We'll know soon enough," Rick said simply, not knowing himself. After the events of trying to take Randall back out had failed, the group had put the boy back in the barn. Rick had no clue what to do with the boy, which was where Daryl came in. Daryl was currently in the barn using his own methods to get answers out of the boy.

Sure enough, as Rick finished speaking the sound of Daryl's footfalls came to the group.

Daryl walked to the group, his back crawling and legs slightly heavier. He didn't feel bad about what he did to the boy, no (he thought of it and his bloody knuckles holding his crossbow strap clenched). That boy and his group shot at Daryl's boys and threatened to take the camp. Rather what made his skin crawl was what Randall had told him about the story with the girls and their father. He didn't want to think about what would happen if those thirty-odd men found the camp. The men here would die and the women, well... His sister...Daryl lightly shook his head and focused on walking to the group.

Darcy turned to her brother as he approached.

"Boy in there's got a gang," Daryl began. "Thirty men, got heavy artillery and they ain't lookin' to make friends. They roll though here, our boys are dead. Our women, they're gonna wish they were." Darcy's eyebrow raised.

"What did you do?" Carol inquired. Darcy and Daryl's eyes both fell to his bloodied hand.

"Had a little chat."

"No one goes near this guy," Rick said sternly.

"Rick, what are you gonna do," Darcy asked, her arms crossed and a furrow between her brows.

"We have no choice, he's a threat," he said to her, looking into her eyes. Darcy could tell they both thought of the conversation about Shane in the tent a little bit back. He continued, talking to the rest of the group. "We have to eliminate the threat."

"You're just gonna kill him?" Dale asked.

"It's settled. I'll do it today."

Rick turned and walked away from the group, Dale following.

Darcy sighed out curtly, and followed her brother as he walked away.

___________________________________

Darcy and Daryl stood at their camp, getting their crossbows ready as they heard footsteps. They both glanced towards them, and Daryl scoffed out.

"The whole point of us coming up here is to get away from you people."

"Gonna take more than that."

"Carol send you?" Daryl asked.

"Carol's not the only one that's concerned about you. Both of you. Your new roles in the group."

"Oh man, we don't need our heads shrunk. This group's broken. We're better off fending for ourselves."

Darcy slung the katana over her back, looped her knife to her belt, and put her crossbow over her shoulders.

"You two act like you don't care."

"Yeah, cause we don't," Darcy piped. Daryl slung his jacket on. "Carl, sure. But he's got his parents, he'll be fine." She shrugged, swallowing maybe a little harsher than normal.