Chapter 7-Trapped

The two of us ran through the school's hallway as the walkers chased after us. They'd gotten through the shutter. I feel my heart pounding in my ears. We turn as we come across a chained shut door in front of this, and go down another hallway. How do we both get out of this alive? How do we get out of here in time for Carl to live?

Down that hallway is another door, one that isn't chained shut. We run through it; it's a gymnasium.

Quickly, I turn around and shut the doors, locking it behind us.

"Come on!" I yell to Otis.

I run over to the folded up wooden bleachers. I hopped up, and used my arm strength to pull myself up. I help Otis up with some struggle, but get him up.

Right as he's up, the walkers burst the door open. The rush over to where we are now standing, and they bang on the wood and growl at us.

"Those windows," I pant, pointing to some windows that were on the other side of the gym with my flashlight. "What's on the other side?"

"About a 20-foot drop with nothing to catch you. Maybe some bushes. Then the athletic field," Otis tells me.

"We just need enough time. We can get up there, get 'em open and get out."

"Not me. Maybe you."

"Hey, hey, hey," I start. Why is he saying this?

"Come on, look at me. You think I can squeeze through one of them tiny windows? They'd be all over us. Look, we lay down some fire to get a head start. You stay here. I hop down, draw them away. That gives you the chance to get up the bleachers and get out the window."

"And where do you go?" I counter.

"Locker room. Down those steps."

"Looks like a good way to get trapped," I say.

"It's got windows too, and more my size," Otis assures me. "I get out through one, I double back, we meet up out on the field."

"You're a crazy son of a bitch, ain't you?" I ask. I adjust the strap of the backpack on me.

"Just tryin' to do right for that boy."

"You take three shots and you go. After that I fire. I'll lay down a cover for you. I'll get you a lead," I say. No way the both of us aren't going to make it out tonight.

"All right," he agrees.

He takes the three shots at three walkers, killing them. He walks over, and jumps down, landing on his stomach. A walker grabs at his ankle, and I shoot it with the shotgun. Otis gets up, and heads toward the locker rooms, the walkers following. I shoot some of them as they follow, and hop down. I walk up the stairs to the window, and break out the glass with the butt of the shotgun.

Noticing three walkers following me, I grab my katana and stab them through the head, conserving the bullets, and put the katana back in its case.

I poke my head out the window. Okay, big drop... I throw the backpack down, and take the katana and shotgun and chuck them down too, attempting to get the best landing to refrain from any injury. Any injury and I'm screwed. I climb out the window, and take a quick breath prepping myself. I get as far down as I can, and another walker pokes its head out the window. I let out a startled breath, and quickly grab my pistol, shooting it.

I let out a loud startled gasp as I almost lose my grip. Okay. I look back down at the fall, and let go of the windowsill.

I feel myself falling through the air for a few seconds.