Chapter 12-Tent

Everything is silent for a moment after Rick shot Sophia.

Carol's cries filled the air, and Carl sat in my lap on the ground.

"Don't look. Don't look," Daryl tells Carol as he tries to help her up.

She shoves him away angrily, and storms off, mournfully, away from the group up to the camp to the R.V.

I help Carl up. He loosely wraps his arms around my waist as we stand.

Beth's crying also fills the air as she mourns her mother and brother. She breaks from Jimmy's arms, and walks up to the dead walkers.

"Shh shh shh. Wait wait wait wait," Rick tries to stop her. She jerks away from him and rolls another dead walker off her mother. She rolls her mother onto her back, the walker's head resting in her lap.

"Ma," she whimpers. The walker in her lap springs to life, and grabs Beth. I rush away from Carl to the danger, and along with others try to get the walker off of Beth.

We attempt to pull Beth and the walker apart, but the walker has a fairly tight grip.

After a few seconds, Beth is free.

T-Dog grunts as he kicks the walker, keeping it down, and Hershel holds his shaken daughter. Andrea drives the pickaxe Shane had earlier used through the walker's head. Everyone diverses. Glenn, Shane, and Rick followed the Greene's to the house. I see Carl now with his mother. They sat on the ground.

The rest of the group starts to deal with the bodies eventually.

I follow Daryl into the R.V., the two of us still holding our guns. We both sit on the counter to the sink. Carol glances at us but none of us say anything. She stares back out the window. We stand in silence as Carol stares out the window and Daryl and I stare at Carol, the occasional eye lock with each other.

We stood in the R.V. for a long while, long enough for a few graves to be dug.

There was a knock on the open door, and Lori steps into the R.V.

"They're ready." Carol shakes her head lightly as she stares at her lap. "Come on."

"Why?" Carol asks.

" 'Cause that's your little girl," Daryl spoke. She looks at him.

"That's not my little girl. That's some other... thing." Carol looks back out the window. "My Sophia was alone in the woods. All this time I thought... She didn't cry herself to sleep. She didn't go hungry. She didn't try to find her way back. Sophia died a long time ago." Carol nods as she finishes.

I look at my brother and he has a not unfamiliar hardened look in his eyes. He glances at me and hops off the counter, expecting me to follow.

I do.

The funeral for Sophia, Shawn, and Annette is a somber one. It's full of tears from multiple people. The people of the group and the people of the Greene family stand in a line in front of the graves.

But not Daryl and I. Daryl and I stood off to the side of the far left grave, Sophia's. Something changed Daryl as we spoke to Carol, that much was obvious to me.

After the funeral, the whole group walked back toward the house area. But not Daryl and I. Daryl diverged in a completely different direction, and I followed.

"I wanna move the tent," he told me roughly, not bothering to look at me. I know what he meant, he wants to move the tent away from the group, basically isolating ourselves.

I take a moment to think about it. He glances at me in my silence and then back ahead. I nod my head.

"Alright. Yeah," I agree. I fall in line with him.