Chapter 4-A Break

People stare at the door, before all once, we sprint into the building.

"Daryl, Darcy, you cover the back," Shane instructs.

"Hello?" Rick calls out. We're in a giant open space, the kind you'd expect for this kind of building. "Hello?" He repeats.

People start fanning out throughout the area.

"Close those doors."

"Watch for walkers."

People stop, looking, talking in their surroundings. This is the cleanest, safest place anyone's been since the start of this mess.

Daryl walks up next to me.

"What about our brother?" he asks, quiet and quick, under his breath.

"Huh?"

"I get that you care for the kid, I do. But we need to find our brother. He's our brother. The kid will be fine here for a few hours. Or wherever. And we're starting to move on. Without him."

"Where would we even look for him? I want to find Merle too, but where would you propose we look? He took that van, remember?"

Daryl shrugs, thinking.

"Hello," a new voice calls, interrupting our quick conversation. The sound of one gun cocking fills air, and the people who weapons aim them in the direction the voice came from.

In the shadows, a man stands, aiming a gun at us. I would be a little more intimidated, but he was an average man; blonde, wearing a basic white T-Shirt and pants. Not very intimidating.

"Anybody infected?" his voice echoes as he speaks.

"One of our group was," Rick lightly pants. "He didn't make it."

People start to aim their weapons down.

"Why are you here? What do you want?"

"A chance. "

"That's asking an awful lot these days." The man steps into the light.

"I know."

People look wary at the new man.

"You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission."

"We can do that," Rick nods.

The man brings his gun down.

"You got stuff to bring in, you do it now,"-he points to the door-"once this door closes, it stays closed.

People rush out, running as quickly as they can to their vehicles, and back into the building. I close the glass door behind me. We follow the man into an elevator, the man pressing a button pad with a beep.

"VI, seal the main entrance. Kill the power up here."

With that, the shutters collapse down again, rattling.

"Rick Grimes." Rick sticks his hand out. The man, eyeing Rick's hand, sticks his own hand out.

"Doctor Edwin Jenner."

People stand in silence, the elevator humming, crowded.

"Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl breaks the silence. I glance at him, giving him a smirk, the corners of his lips lifting up at me.

"There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself. But you look harmless enough." He pauses, looking down at Carl. "Except you. I'll have to keep my eye on you." The corners of Carl's lips turn up.