Chapter 5

Picture of Michael in the media above to brighten your day 🤭😌

Chapter Five

CYNTHIA

I look up from the tray, ready to apologize to whoever it is I had bumped into, but the words get caught in my throat as I stare at a very surprised face.

"You!"

He shouts almost disbelievingly and I can't help staring confusedly at him.

What the hell does he mean by me? And how the hell is he suddenly standing in front of me when he was romancing a girl just now?

"Me, what?"

I watch with uncertainty as his expression changes to one of confusion and then of realization. He slightly raises an eyebrow and stares at me like he can't quite believe what is happening.

And then he opens his mouth and says the last thing I'm expecting.

"Orphan?" He utters unsurely and my eyes widen in surprise and fear at that nickname. 

Did I hear wrong or did he really just call me that in front of the students?

No one has referred to me by that disgusting name since JSS2 and I certainly want it to remain that way.

"Don't. Call. Me. That." I say slowly, enunciating each word.

I was going to apologize to him but I don't think he deserves that apology anymore.

He looks amused for some reason and I just really want to connect my fist to his cheek. Reining my anger in, I bend to pick up the tray and the fork then turn to go, but he pulls me back.

"You can't go just like that." He says then points to his shoe that is now stained with spaghetti sauce. "I think I deserve an apology and you should pray the shoe isn't ruined because it is expensive."

I look at his shoe and decide it'd be better to just apologize and get it over with, "I'm sorry, I wasn't looking at where I was going and I didn't see you coming." I say monotonously.

He narrows his eyes at me, "You didn't see me coming?"

"Yeah, I was in a hurry and I wasn't looking at-

"Are you sure it isn't to get my attention?" He asks and I look at him like he has grown two heads.

Who does he think he is?

"I don't understand what you are saying." I reply flatly.

"Well, some of you bump into me intentionally to get my attention and then pretend it is a mistake." He insists and I roll my eyes. "This is the third time a girl will pretend to bump into me just to find an excuse to talk to me today."

"Look, you don't have to worry about that. I have no intention to talk to you and it really is just an accident." I reply bluntly, hoping it sinks into his head.

"Really? You aren't just saying that to save yourself from embarrassment in front of the other students?" He reiterates and I glare at him in response.

What is his problem?!

"She chose the wrong place though. The cafeteria of all places where there will be lots of people watching, how embarrassing." Femi says and I see that Michael is actually not far from their table and the rest of them are watching me.

I don't know if Femi said that out of pity or if he is trying to make fun of me but I see Wole nod in agreement. I notice Dorcas sitting there too and I realize she was the one clinging to Michael just before. She has a sly smile on her face as she watches me together with her friends, one of which is mirroring her expression and the other who looks like she doesn't care about what is happening.