(18) An Instance so Profound and Riddled with Blood

Wigget and Anton went back to the tunnel and closed it off to move to their position. Only Cathrine and Alex remained.

"We have some time before we have to leave," Alex said softly as she approached the gazebo. Cathy nodded and sat down on the only bench inside it. She gave a breathy laugh.

"You remember when we met?" She asked.

"Always sweetness," Alex said standing, looking down at her love. "I sat there and you just appeared out of nowhere" she said chuckling. "I almost contemplated bringing the guards to arrest you for trespass," she said sitting down. Cathy leaned on her shoulder.

"I didn't know this garden was forbidden! And when I did find out I-"

"You said that I reminded you of that princess who was stuck in her castle," Alex finished her sentence with a laugh.

"Oh how the time has passed," Cathy said with a smile. Alex nodded

"And now we're in a war with demons and my mother," Alex said quietly. Cathrine without a word stood up and walked to the edge.

"Alex we need to talk about that," she said turning and leaning on the railing.

"About what?" Alex asked confused.

"You know I'm half human right? My father was human," Alex nodded still confused.

"My mother wasn't. And she taught my father and me all about her cultures and her people," Cathrine continued firmly. Alex kept quiet, she was never one for social etiquette or social cues. "The term 'demon' isn't actually what we're called, it's just a villainized name for our people. It's actually the tribes of Zenzontle," Cathy said proudly. "That's what my people are called Al, not demon, not monsters, we might be different but we're just as valid," she said defensively despite Alex not saying anything.

"I think Zen- Zenzoney is a beautiful name, I'm sorry for calling you a demon," Alex said firmly.

"Zen-zon-tle babe," Cathy said. Alex opened her mouth to say something but suddenly they heard a faint whistle. Alex stood and walked toward Cathy.

"That's the signal, we should be on our way," Alex said offering her hand. "We've got to save the Zenzontle after all," she said with a smile. Cathy grabbed her hand and nodded firmly with a soft smile
...

"Ready?" Alex said perched on top of the ceiling of the throne room. Cathy nodded.

Alex began to lower Cathy into the throne room in an opened window behind a pillar so they didn't spot her.

Once Cathy landed, Alex mimicked a bird calling. Suddenly an explosion was heard near the throne room entrance. Martial leader Remari and her squad did their job. Alex thought proudly as the guards left the room in order to assist in the explosion.

"What's going on!" Queen Sali screamed as she stood from her throne.

She was finally alone, it was Cathrine's time.

"Queen Sali," Cathrine said loudly as she stepped away from the safety of the pillar.

"You! What have you done!" She said pointing her long nail to Cathrine. Cathrine continued forward to the throne approaching her.