(17) Reason for Vulnerbility and Reason for Chaos

Alex opened the door to reveal a dark room. She stepped in and was immediately met Cathrine's lovely voice that made her melt with nerves and butterflies.

"Hello?"

Alex fumbled for the light switch and winced when she turned them on. She looked up to see Cathrine sitting up in a bed wearing Alex's favorite sweater in the corner. Cathrine gasped and jumped up instantly to run to Alex. Alex still out of it didn't notice Cathrine was running at her until they made contact and fell back because of Alex's weak limbs. Cathrine buried her face in Alex's chest and Alex heard crying. She hesitantly wrapped her arms around Cathrine cautious but yet loving. The demon heritage was at the back of Alex's mind as she began to crying into the crown of Cathrine's head.

"Oh Deus I thought you might've been dead," Alex heard Cathrine say muffledly. "Anton couldn't find you, they started the moment we got here. Oh deus Alex," she said grabbing tightly onto Alex as if she was afraid they'd come and take her away from her.

"I'm here Cathy, and I'm not going anywhere," Alex whispered into Cathy's ears and they laid on the floor. After a second Alex let out a painstaking breath, "sweetness... maybe you can hug me from the side? I'm pretty sure my ribs are broken," Alex said wincing. Cathy quickly rolled over her and sat up to scan Alex's face

"Oh my gosh why are you so beat up Alex??" She said pulling Alex up and examining every inch of her face with careful detail.

"It's nothi-" Alex was interrupted when Cathy pulled up her shirt to examine her stomach noticing bruises from blows to her stomach and chest. "It's nothing just some guards messing around. They weren't too happy when I accused their Queen of murdering an entire species of um demons," Alex said the last part in an almost hush as to not trigger any reaction from Cathrine about the mention of demons.

"It's nothing? They beat you Alex! Baby this is a lot more than nothing!" She said holding tightly onto Alex's hand.

"Help me up sweetness," Alex said softly trying to get up. Cathy stood and helped Alex sit down on her bed. Alex fell back and laid down closing her eyes, patting next to her. Cathrine laid down and Alex cuddled behind Cathy, spooning the woman she loved. "I missed you Cathrine," Alex said gently as she held Cathy closely like a vase of the most precious clay. Suddenly she felt Cathy shake as if she were crying. "Hey what's going love bug?" Alex asked turning Cathy to face her. Cathy hid her face but Alex softly pried her hands off her face and gently wiped her tears.

"I should've gone with you, why didn't I go with you maybe I could've helped you against your mother," Cathy said concealing her face in Alex's chest

"Cathy I didn't fight back when the guards incarcerated me, nor when they beat me up," Alex said seriously

"Why not?" Cathy asked more calmly but still concerned.

"Because my mother told me something that completely made me lose my footing and I couldn't recover," Alex said carefully.

"What'd she tell you?" Cathy said pulling away from her grip and facing her face to face. Alex's throat tightened, her battled with herself she could've easily avoided this situation. Why couldn't she lie?! She couldn't possibly admit she knew Cathrine was a demon, she was still coming to terms with it herself! Alex sat up leaning on the wall.

"She told me that you were a half demon," Alex said looking away. Cathrine tensed up, she opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. Alex moved to stand. "She accused me of only siding with the demons as a favor to you, to help you take over the nation." She stopped remembering the skin flaying words of her mother. "She said that you made me fall in love with you so that you could manipulate me into helping out the demons," Alex finished pacing and ending up at the small window where she looked out into the empty wastelands.