(3) Departing to a New Adventure

~Alex~

It was early morning, a day after we arrived from our travels. It's getting late I thought worryingly as I checked my watch

7:58

The train to Auchrilin arrives at 8 and from there we have to take a car and drive the land difference between the small kingdom of Auchrilin and Afnira. I was immensely grateful that my mother had graciously allowed me to travel without any other person to protect me. Thankfully to the sheltered life, my parents had raised me in, not many of even my own citizens knew me by appearance, which made it a lot easier to travel unnoticed.

Where is Cathy?

"Alex" I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned to be greeted by a brilliant smile and a girl with her beautiful auburn hair up in a messy bun. "Sorry I'm late, I had a hard time getting out of bed today, it's cold!" she said grabbing my hands to warm up. Her hands were so cold but I pretended they weren't to spare her feelings so early in the morning. I smiled and took off my mittens to give to her and placed my scarf around her neck.

"You dork I told you it was going to be cold, it's winter! What did you expect? why didn't you bring warm things!" I scolded her while we walked to the train that had just arrived. She pouted and linked her arm with mine.

"I did! But I packed them in my bag because I thought it wasn't going to be that cold right now!" She said shivering and getting closer to me, "besides I have my heater," she says teasing me.

Once we had arrived at our car I placed the bags up in the baggage department and plop down. Cathy sits down next to me and cuddles by my side getting comfortable to, I assume, sleep.

"Didn't get much sleep, sweetness?" I ask her wrapping my arm around her and bring her closer. I felt her shake her head and nest closer to me.

"Ariel and Azrail were so hypered it took me forever to get them to sleep," I heard her say muffled, "and then I had to wake up so early!" I kissed the crown of her head and rubbed her back

"I'm sorry, I know you hate the morning babe but we had to leave early," I apologized "get some sleep," I whispered, she nodded

"remind me to take my pills," she softly said before falling asleep

Soon enough I hear light snores coming from the tall woman by me. I smile and lean my head on hers closing my eyes slightly enjoying the warmth between us.

I was lightly dozing off when I hear the car doors slide. The conductor entered and I quickly pass him the tickets with my free hand to not wake Cathy up. He then smiled and tips his hat and leaves. I go back to my light sleep.
...

I felt the train stop and Cathy stir when I opened my eyes. I don't remember how long the train ride is to Auchrilin but it felt like a second long. I glance at my watch

12:30

We slept for four hours?!

I quickly glance up to where our bags were and felt relief.

Thankfully they didn't take our bags

I shook Cathy gently knowing she was not a morning person. If I don't approach this right, we might have a catastrophe on our hands. She groans and snuggled closer to me