(14) Unbinding Eyes from Truth

"Are you ready?" Cathrine caught Alex's hand just as she was about to enter the hallway to the throne room. Alex grabbed her hand tightly, she was afraid to look at Cathrine because she knew she would see the fear in her eyes. Cathrine raised Alex's chin and gave her a sad smile, "whatever happens in there, I'll be right next to you Alex,"Alex raised her hand to grasp Cathrine's hand.

"I'm sorry sweetness but this is something I have to do alone. She's my mother. It's my future kingdom," she said giving Cathy a stressed look. Cathrine shared a worried look and cupped her face and pulled her close

"I'll be right by your side, as a ghost then," she responded. Alex chuckled so softly it was barely audible.

"Promise?" she asked quietly. Cathrine nodded

"Promise,"

--and thus begins the pain—

"Mother," Alex says quietly entering the throne room. The Guards stared at her unmoving like statues. The queen sat on her throne next to an empty king seat. flashes of the past of them and her father sitting there as a royal family with great authority, great power... and great division came to Alex. She frowned and felt her stomach drop at the thought that her father would no longer sit there.

push it down Alex

she continues forward.

"Finally Alexis, you've arrived from your little 'adventure'" Queen Sali said without looking away from her papers. Alex tightened her fists and bowed as she arrived at the feet of the throne.

"Your highness, I have urgent matters I need discuss with you, if you will spare a little time for me, I would be immensely grateful," she says calmly and cold, despite the fact that her insides were on fire and her body shook with every breath. Queen Salli looked up and smirked.

"Finally remembered your manners? I was beginning to think that deprecatory Cathrine was affecting you," she spat, baiting Alex into losing her temper. Alex looked down fighting to abstain from her anger. she was losing, she hated when they spoke of Cathrine as if she were disgusting. The Queen smiled when she felt the ground shake.

"Mother, may we talk somewhere else?" Alex said through grit teeth. The Queen scoffed,

"Whatever you wish to speak about we can talk about it here. Alexis," the Queen responded

"Fine if that's what you prefer Queen Salli'" Alex said stepping forward closer to her throne stopping at a two arms length. "When I went to rescue Cathrine, I heard different versions of what I've been told is the cause for what's happening in the kingdom. I want to ask for your account of why the demons are entering our borders," she said scanning her mother's face for any signs of lies and suspect. The Queen snarled and furrowed her face. She leaned forward.

"You mean to tell me that you doubt your Queen? You dare ask such a question!" Alex fought the urge to return her aggressive tone but instead held her passive ground.

"I do not question you your highness, I would just like to compare versions to find the truth, as a royal taking care of this realm, we don't want any unnecessary blood on our kingdom's hand," she said calmly, hiding her shaking hands behind her back.