(9) Arrival and Departure

~Alex~

It was weird to ride the train by myself. Despite having a private car I felt as if everyone's eyes were on me, like if they knew me and Cathrine had had a falling out. She hasn't texted me, and I haven't texted her either. I figured she'd be too busy trying to figure out a way to get rid of those spirits. No, not really, I'm just afraid and guilty.

"So you're saying we shouldn't get married," I stated furiously that she would rather choose this place than our home. I saw Cathy's face fall and her shoulders lowered.

"Alex I didn't mea-" she started softly

"I think I understand now Cathrine no need to explain any further. I'm leaving now so don't worry. Just do whatever you want." I cut her off and left before she could say another word.

I'm such a dick! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

"Uh, miss? Are you okay?"

I look up and the conductor is there pointing at my hands. I look down to see them and see that they're red from me squeezing them too tightly. I quickly let go and frown.

"Yeah" I breathe a chuckle, "love, am I right?" I respond awkwardly. The conductor smiles politely and nods faintly.

He leaves after he punches a hole in my ticket.

I'm nervous. What if I don't do a good job at protecting my nation? What if I fail? I can't fail I-
I grab my chest, it's as if a boulder landed on it and I can barely breathe

"Miss!" The conductor runs in after I fall. After a while of him helping me breathe he rubs my back and looks at me concerned "is there anyone I can call to help you?" He asked softly.

"Cat-" no "no, no one I'll be fine," I said getting up and sitting back down on the bench. He nods slowly and bows slightly as he leaves. I fight tears as I force myself to stare into the outside.

Cathrine
...

Arriving at the Capital was difficult. They've added guards to every post I've ever known and even those that I didn't even know. It was until Demitri came to see me through the rings of guards outside the castle walls, that they let me in.

"What's going on? Why are there so many guards?" I ask him as he walks me inside the second of the three rings. He looks away,

"Because of the invasion, the Queen is worried that the demons will try to assassinate the king, as he is gravely ill," he said softly. I stopped. Wait what. I grab him by the shoulder and stop him.

"What did you say?" I ask, afraid of the answer. He can't be-

"The doctors have all concluded that the king is not likely to last for another week," he whispers.

"But I- I just saw him!" I said remembering that night at the dinner table, "he- he- he had a cough Dimitri but that- but that was it!" Dimitri stays silent, looking to his feet. "Dimitri! I command you to tell me what is happening with my father!" I snap, he shuffles his feet

"We must go, the Queen is waiting," he says walking forward quietly. I stand there unable to comprehend what was happening. My father, the one who gave the order to announce I had died during birth, the one who commanded guards to train me until I was in full control, the one who permitted me to marry Cathrine, my Cathrine, oh Cathrine if only you were here.