(5) A Plea for Help

It was dusk, Alex slowly opened her eyes and turned to Cathy who was snuggled to her side, lightly snoring.

Thank Goodness I'm used to her snoring by now, Alex thought planting a kiss on her lover's head. Alex moved to get comfortable and fell back to sleep.
..

"Alex, baby get up," Cathy called nudging Alex to wake up. It was rare that Cathy was awake before Alex but it was afternoon and they had slept in which is something she hardly does. Alex stirred and shifted cuddling closer to Cathy. Cathy chuckled and hugged her stroking her hair.

"Say Cathy," Alex called from Cathrine's chest. She hummed in response and Alex continued. "What were they talking about last night? About the problems to the kingdom? Do you know?"  Uh oh Cathy braces herself and sat up making Alex sit up as well. She stared into her eyes trying to figure out what to say.

"That's what my father wanted to discuss, there are rumors and sightings of the tribes near the borders," Cathrine said sharply. Alex frowned and looked down at her hands,

"But- wouldn't my parents have told me?" She asked hurt. Cathy placed a hand on Alex's shoulder and looked into her eyes when she looked up.

"I don't know why they didn't tell you, but they've been ignoring my dad's warnings about them, he thinks they'll try invading," she said tucking a wisp of hair behind Alex's ear. Alex looked at her worryingly.

"Hopefully they're just rumors, because if not, with Kauldin not preparing for an invasion and the denial of my parents, we're in for some trouble,"
...

"King Abrafo, it has been a delight to honor your birthday, but we will be taking our leave," Alex said respectfully as addressed the king.

"If you would do me a favor, princess Alex," he spoke, stroking his beard. Princess Ade was at his side like always, staring at Cathrine, Why was she so fixated on me? Cathy asked herself.

"Anything King Abrafo," Alex responded strongly,

"I had a village near the borders of my kingdom, who have been struggling with spirits, if you could so kindly help my people, I would be ever so grateful," he said with a slight smile. Alex's posture tensed and she glanced at Cathy who only shared the look. Princess Ade looked at her father abrasively, and frowned,

"But father you've already said that I was the one who was to defeat the bad spirits in Reartle!" she stated. The king turned to her and frowned,

"You are not ready for such a job, princess Alex is. Plus you've done enough," he said softly but his words echoed around the throne room. Alex and Cathrine shared a glance.

"I've been studying! I'm ready! Surely whatever Alex can do, I can do it!" She said standing and facing him. The king slammed his fist on his armrest and shot her a glare that caused her to sit down and pout. The king cleared his throat.

"My apologies Princess Alex and lady Cathrine, it seems I have more manners to teach my daughter," he apologized. Alex held up her palm

"Princess Ade is right, I'm sure she's more than qualified to deal with it. Plus I have matters to attend in my kingdom Your majesty, and to add to the matter I am not sure I can help you with your problem," she said politely declining. The king narrowed his eyes but smiled warmly

"Surely you jest, princess Alex! I have heard of your great connection to the spirit realm, in fact, your parents seem to mention it every time I see them," he says laughing. Alex smiled politely, and Princess Ade scoffed quietly but got flustered when she realized Cathrine had heard her.

I wonder what else they told him, Alex thought.

"Please think about it Alex," he said seriously, Alex sighed and looked at Cathy,

"Very well your majesty, I will think about it and give you my answer tomorrow morning," she responded with her hands tied. He smiled and nodded victoriously.
...

"Alex I think you should do it," Cathrine said as Alex stared out of the balcony. Cathy walked towards her and hugged her waist from behind and nudged her face with Alex's neck. Alex groaned and leaned back.

"But what about Kauldin?!" Alex responded turning and sticking her face in her tall lover's chest. Cathy embraced her closely

"They'll be okay, I promise. They have the full force of the army, Wigget will keep us in the know. You can help these people! With your gift," Cathy said looking into Alex's eyes. Alex frowned.

"I don't understand why they told him about my connection," Alex began unconscionably tightening her grip on Cathy. "I thought they wanted to keep me as their secret weapon," she said remembering the bitter and harsh training that they put her through to be able to hone such a skill. Cathy remembered it too but in a different light. She didn't think of it as training, but as torture and abuse.

"I'm sure he doesn't know about all of it," she tried comforting Alex. Alex sighed and nodded nuzzling her face in Cathrine's embrace. "Especially the part where you're a supreme elementalist," she softly commented, recalling the fact that singular Elementalists, people who can control one element of earth, are rare throughout all the land and Supreme elementalists, those who can control all six,  are considered myths and legends.

"Wigget better do his damn job as captain of the royal guard," Alex said muffled. Cathrine only smiled and rubbed her head.

"Don't worry about Kauldin, it'll be okay,"
—-

Yours, Aegean